New knifenut from Sweden

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindTone

Reaction score
Hi kkf!

A short introduction is in order I suppose. I'm a physics student with an interest in bonsai. When researching how to care for bonsai tools I fell for whetstones and sharpening which led me here. So now I've started changing my stainless knives to carbon steel. Well one knife so far at least, there will be many more.. :angel2:

Welcome dude. Once you finish your studies, get a job in finance - this road you have started on is an expensive one [emoji6]

@preizzo Tack! Själv bor jag i Linköping :)

@khashy I'm not sure quantum mechanics is random enough for finance :razz:

Hell yeah, someone else that works with quantum mechanics! Although I'm a humble quantum chemist, we will take over (at least we have some probability of doing so lol).

Better you guys taking over than those finance dopes and the politicians they influence. You seek to explain why/how everything works the way it does whereas finance magicians simply invent everything out of thin air. According to bankers and investors the Higgs boson is probably the mere manifestation of the fact that ROI is what actually makes this sun of ours rotate around our flat, pizza-shaped earth.

Hell yeah, someone else that works with quantum mechanics! Although I'm a humble quantum chemist, we will take over (at least we have some probability of doing so lol).

Wow! What's a quantum chemist? Sounds really cool. What do you do as a quantum chemist? I'm thinking superhero creation...

Wow! What's a quantum chemist? Sounds really cool. What do you do as a quantum chemist? I'm thinking superhero creation...

lol, it's cool in a very nerd sense. I basically use the laws of quantum physics, a bunch of approximations and supercomputers to predict what electrons and atoms do in different systems/conditions.

Let's put it into perspective, with the right tools and amount of time I could describe to the level of atoms and electrons (and visualize it) what happens when a certain etchant compound interacts with a steel of a certain known composition (the reactions that would happen), this could be done in a predictive manner. The scale of it would however have a very hard time describing changes that involve more than just a few hundred atoms, a few thousands at most and with decreasing accuracy, there are other tools for that but you can forget about using quantum mechanics at a bigger scale with current technology (way way too time consuming).
Much of my work has been with less than 30 atoms lol.

@valgard Actually I'm still just a student, not even a B.A. yet :newhere:
30 atoms still sound like a lot to me!

A warm welcome from another physicist then went down the rabbit hole of kitchen knives first, and knifemaking second. The second one costs way more :)

@valgard do you bump into the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, or is that not a super relevant concern to desired outcomes?

It depends on what level you are looking at, for me it has been directly relevant for some of my work whereas for other stuff I've done it's something considered in the underlying theory of the methods but not directly considered but as long as you are dealing with small enough stuff (think hydrogen atoms and smaller) it is very important. This even affects the freezing of water lol.

+1
Actually it is not far fetched at all. My mate who finished his PhD in mechanical engineering got a job in banking - fixed income. He is paid 3-5 times what an standard mech eng would make.

Back