Japanese Woodworker sale of day Takenoko "8k"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we've discussed this before but what are the advantages of this stone over the Rika 5k? Or what are it's defining properties?

If you don't mind me tacking on to your post ThEoRy, how does the Takenoko 8K stack up against the 8k Kitayama?

I think we've discussed this before but what are the advantages of this stone over the Rika 5k? Or what are it's defining properties?

There's maybe no advantage to using this "over" the Rika but I'd bet there is in addition to. The Takenoko is sort of like a finer Rika. It has great feel 'n feedback and leaves a toothy edge. Plus it does that thing to some kasumi finishes that the Rika does.

If you don't mind me tacking on to your post ThEoRy, how does the Takenoko 8K stack up against the 8k Kitayama?

Completely and totally different in almost every way.

The Takenoko can give an edge like a 6k or a more refined 8k edge, just depends on if you use it quickly or ride it for awhile and let the mud build and break down. This stone allows for big jumps between stones as it'll pull along lower grit finishes up to it's level easily.

The Kitayama is an 8k in name only. If you use this as an 8k stone, or compare it to other 8k stones, you'll likely be disappointed. It's not great at pulling a 5 or 6k edge into 8k territory. What it does do exceedingly well is to refine (to extreme crispness) high grit edges from other 8-10k stones. I think of the Kitayama when I want to put my mark on a knife's edge, when a knife needs just a little something extra to make it terrifying, or even when I want to make a wide bevel look pretty as it lays down a real beautiful (not gaudy) polish to core steel.

From another thread but Takenoko contrast:

I got mine in one of the best stone deals I've ever seen from JWW. It was a Naniwa superstone 220, Shapton Glass 2K and Takenoko for $120. And I'll echo a lot of what has been said about a Takenoko in this thread though I can't compare it to much in the mid to upper synth range

So tempting, but I already have 4 stones between 5 and 10K. I am not sure I will find a proper use for it :(

Latest posts

Back