Monosteel wa-handled gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunchy

Reaction score
I'm basically looking for a cheaper version of the carbon masamoto ks. I know cktg had a few that weren't wa for awhile. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

A word of caution. The only similarity between the Masamoto KS and the CKtG copy is the profile. The CKtG is quite thick behind the edge and requires many hours on the coarse stones (or a belt sander) to come close to the Masamoto's performance.

Rick

I'm basically looking for a cheaper version of the carbon masamoto ks. I know cktg had a few that weren't wa for awhile. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Bernal just got these vintage gyutos that are very KS looking. San mai though. Photos might not be on their website but it's on their FB page.

A word of caution. The only similarity between the Masamoto KS and the CKtG copy is the profile. The CKtG is quite thick behind the edge and requires many hours on the coarse stones (or a belt sander) to come close to the Masamoto's performance.

Rick

+1 I have a monosteel 52100 ks-profile from there. I have spent a few hours (3-4hrs) on stones thinning and am nowhere close to being in a usable condition. I like the steel and love the profile but it is way too thick behind the edge. I have given a lot of thought to picking up a cheap belt sander mainly to tackle this knife.

Cheers,
rj

Bernal just got these vintage gyutos that are very KS looking. San mai though. Photos might not be on their website but it's on their FB page.

I'm really interested to see what those are like if anyone ever picks one up. Mystery steel has me hesitant to pull the trigger

Back