Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Monosteel wa-handled gyuto

  1. #1
    Senior Member crunchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    PGH
    Posts
    173

    Monosteel wa-handled gyuto

    I'm basically looking for a cheaper version of the carbon masamoto ks. I know cktg had a few that weren't wa for awhile. Can anyone point me in the right direction?


  2. #2
    Senior Member Mucho Bocho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,086

    Monosteel wa-handled gyuto

    Yusuki Sakai

    If you can find one.

    Butch Harner will make you one too

    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,260
    A word of caution. The only similarity between the Masamoto KS and the CKtG copy is the profile. The CKtG is quite thick behind the edge and requires many hours on the coarse stones (or a belt sander) to come close to the Masamoto's performance.

    Rick
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post

    Butch Harner will make you one too
    I belive OP mentioned something about a cheaper version...

  5. #5
    Senior Member jonnachang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    171
    Beefy or laser? Ikkanshi Tadatsuna is white #2 mono steel .

  6. #6
    Senior Member labor of love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    dirty south, louisiana
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchy View Post
    I'm basically looking for a cheaper version of the carbon masamoto ks. I know cktg had a few that weren't wa for awhile. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Bernal just got these vintage gyutos that are very KS looking. San mai though. Photos might not be on their website but it's on their FB page.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Badgertooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,758
    Buy my Tsukiji Masamoto


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    A word of caution. The only similarity between the Masamoto KS and the CKtG copy is the profile. The CKtG is quite thick behind the edge and requires many hours on the coarse stones (or a belt sander) to come close to the Masamoto's performance.

    Rick
    +1 I have a monosteel 52100 ks-profile from there. I have spent a few hours (3-4hrs) on stones thinning and am nowhere close to being in a usable condition. I like the steel and love the profile but it is way too thick behind the edge. I have given a lot of thought to picking up a cheap belt sander mainly to tackle this knife.

    Cheers,
    rj

  9. #9
    Senior Member Nomsdotcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Bernal just got these vintage gyutos that are very KS looking. San mai though. Photos might not be on their website but it's on their FB page.
    I'm really interested to see what those are like if anyone ever picks one up. Mystery steel has me hesitant to pull the trigger

  10. #10
    Senior Member labor of love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    dirty south, louisiana
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsdotcom View Post
    I'm really interested to see what those are like if anyone ever picks one up. Mystery steel has me hesitant to pull the trigger
    I asked bernal and they're not sure, but they said they would test it to see how the steel sharpens and performs.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •