I Have $200 For A Damascus Chef's Knife...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyChef

Reaction score
What should I get? I almost pulled the trigger on an Ergochef Shinzui, but figured I would ask here first.

TANAKA from K&S. So much knife for the money.

Anryu Kurochi Damascus, tanaka from james(not in us but it's not going to make a difference champ), sakai takayuki makes a damascus hammered vg10 gyuto that is pretty cheap, knifewear in canada does a tojiro forte that is +/- 200 usd as well. Quality, Damascus and Budget friendly is a hard sell as damascus normally adds 80-120% to the blades pricing due to the added labour involvement, steel costs and other variable costs. Tanaka is the best choice in all honesty with the anryu being in second

I was just thinking about shipping times. I'm impatient...

+1 Tanaka blue 2 damascus at that price point.

Also James in Australia will be faster than going direct from Japan which can take months. Of course if there is a local to US supplier try them! Note, James in Australia does handle upgrades that are sweet!

+1 Tanaka blue 2 damascus at that price point.

Also James in Australia will be faster than going direct from Japan which can take months. Of course if there is a local to US supplier try them! Note, James in Australia does handle upgrades that are sweet!

+2

Metal master also stocks these and will ship out to the US. You need to be patient though

James will take about a week to get to your door maybe less if your in a big city.

Is he a member here?

James is the owner of Knives and Stones, one of this site's supporting vendors (of which we are LUCKY to have several). If you hit the forum button at the left top of the page and scroll down to the vendors section of the sub-forums you will see him 10 up from the bottom of that section.

http://www.knivesandstones.com/

His handles are incredible, the blades have better fit and finish than metalmaster and shipping is stupid fast. I have enjoyed every knife ordered from him (with more to come).

Hard to do better at that price! You would need to jump into a much higher price bracket for a better damascus knife.

Just remember no hitting bones with fine Japanese blades. And, clean and dry carbon blades quickly after use to prevent rust spots. When a patina forms the reactivity will calm down!

Tanaka has a bit of a reputation for lower prices knives. Even the rough around the edges version that MM sells punch way above their weight class. The K&S version would be a deal at $275 or more. The knives that perform comparably at a similar price point are few indeed.

I think Tanaka was a good choice.

My Tanaka R2 240mm gyuto just arrived from K&S today.

The ebony handle is the best I've seen and K&S treatment on the spine and choil are very well done

Let us know your thoughts when it arrives.

Absolutely. This is the most I've ever spent on a knife.

One day you will look back at this post and laugh, as you scan your eyes across a handful of knives you now own that are a bit, uh, more expensive :biggrin:

I did that with vaping. Bought a cheap kit, upgraded, etc. Now I own a successful vaping merchandise website and specialize in making custom coils for vapers. And I also own and run a vaping related forum. I tend to jump in head first...

Fellow ex-smoker and now ex-vaper. Best thing I did to quit a 20 year live affair with the stinkies. I loved my high end gear.

Back