Quantcast
Steel ... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel ...

TC, Dave and Del all have and will probably still use O1.

Supposedly a very good steel and I am excited to use it!

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    Who makes kitchen knives with O1?
    Del Ealy is the KING of O1. It is his preferred steel.

Some guy named Dave, for one, and another obscure make named Devin.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    Infi is a steel exclusively used by Busse for very large knives. It is in the family of A8-mod, and is characterized by high toughness with moderate wear resistance. It is very hyped by both Busse and his fans. He doesn't make kitchen knives and I don't recommend Infi for them. I will stop making bad jokes on the board now.
    Jokes are good, phd level jokes are just over my head, but I am sure some here understood. School must be going well.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2hill View Post
    There's my answer of B2 or W2, but without your preference of SS, Clad, Carb. its hard for me to give an answer.

Some of my W2/B2 knives take a killer patina, but if thats not your style and you don't like the look W2 won't be the answer.

Also in another unrelated answer: A lot of the truth comes down to HT and the maker.

The worst steel HT'd properly is a better choice then the best steel HT'd poorly.

Instead I will tell you steels I don't enjoy most of the time!: VGX, SK4/SK5.
    EdipisReks has a Mizuno which looks nice ... Blue #2 ... any experience with such "monster"?

Blue#2 has more wear resistance and corrosion resistance than White#2 and is more expensive. W#2 is said to get sharper than B#2 (potentially, anywayz) but I sure as heck can't tell the difference! My B#2 knives are sharp as buggery.

O1 is a Butch and Pierre steel as well.
    White 1 and 2 are what I call "fun steels". They get amazingly sharp and are wonderful on the stones, but the retention is only good. With the being said, I love white steel and will get more of it sometime.
    V2 is nice to sharpen, but I don't think it's the toughest out there based on my experience, but it could be the HT. I'll agree with a previous post stating the HT is more important than the steel itself. I've used an undisclosed steel more than once, and the knife HTed by Pierre is an absolute gem, while the other experience was not pleasant.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Blue#2 has more wear resistance and corrosion resistance than White#2 and is more expensive. W#2 is said to get sharper than B#2 (potentially, anywayz) but I sure as heck can't tell the difference! My B#2 knives are sharp as buggery.
    Knife ninja ...

I don't really see a huge difference in most of these carbon steels in terms of sharpness. They all seem to get super sharp with minimal difficulty. It's when you get to stainless that it's tricky. It think it's funny that people talk about HT all the time. While the statement is absolutely true, there are few on this board outside of knifemakers that really know. In order to know, you have to try a lot of knives made of the same material. There is variation even between batches of the same steel. For example, carbon content for a steel can have a range of 0.90 to 1.1 % C. That is a HUGE difference, if you ask me. Even if you can feel a difference, what is it due to? What trade-offs were made? There are only a few things I think we can honestly evaluate with any sort of certainty: cutting resistance, sharpenability, toughness, grind consistency, reactivity. Even wear-resistance can be a little iffy since I really doubt most of the damage an edge takes is actually from wear. Why do you think relatively low carbon steels are so awesome? Anyway, I might have missed something but just my two cents. Get some good steel from a well-regarded knifemaker using what he likes to use and you'll be fine and the fact of the matter is that 90% of the Japanese knives I've tried have been at least very good, if not excellent or even outstanding, regardless of steel or maker.