Quantcast
Steel ...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel ...

Steel ...

I'm about to buy a new knife and have read quite a lot about the different steels used. Still, I'm doubting which steel to chose for my next knife?

What is your experience with white #1, #2 ... blue #1, #2 etc. Which holds the sharpest edge, is easiest to sharpen, less reactive etc. etc.

Infi is the best.

I'd just buy whatever is cheapest to be honest. From my little experience I think blue is easier to sharpen and less reactive than white but I am no expert by any means

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    Infi is the best.
    I believe you, but what is it? I panic when I can't find things on gators steel chart, lol. Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    I believe you, but what is it? I panic when I can't find things on gators steel chart, lol. Care to elaborate?
    Infi is a steel exclusively used by Busse for very large knives. It is in the family of A8-mod, and is characterized by high toughness with moderate wear resistance. It is very hyped by both Busse and his fans. He doesn't make kitchen knives and I don't recommend Infi for them. I will stop making bad jokes on the board now.

There's my answer of B2 or W2, but without your preference of SS, Clad, Carb. its hard for me to give an answer.

Some of my W2/B2 knives take a killer patina, but if thats not your style and you don't like the look W2 won't be the answer.

Also in another unrelated answer: A lot of the truth comes down to HT and the maker.

The worst steel HT'd properly is a better choice then the best steel HT'd poorly.

Instead I will tell you steels I don't enjoy most of the time!: VGX, SK4/SK5.

I think the type of knife and its intended use should dictate steel type....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

O1 rules!!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    O1 rules!!
    Who makes kitchen knives with O1?

TC Blades uses 01.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com