Quantcast
Tojiro DP is not what it used to be?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tojiro DP is not what it used to be?

Tojiro DP is not what it used to be?

So, a while back JCK stopped carrying Tojiro DP. Not sure why, just read the fact somewhere. Anybody?

Yesterday I was at Korin and they told me they also stopped carrying it, because the master felt their quality had gone down since they started mass producing and didn't feel comfortable selling them anymore.

Has anybody bought a new DP recently?

I was thinking of starting a non-knife nut friend with a couple (probably that 3-set of 210mm+petty+utily), but now am on the fence.

So, this is all hearsay...I have an older DP 210mm gyuto that I really like and trust.

Any comments?

Thanks!
    -thiago

Tojiro (Fujitora) wasn't happy that Koki was selling the DPs for knock-down, dirt-cheap.

ah...i see...thanks for clearing that up.

any word on the the knives themselves?
    -thiago

I have a 2.5 yr old Tojiro and I've checked out a few more recent ones. The fit and finish might have gone down a touch based on those few knives but not a lot. They remain a bit chippy. I recommend Fujiwara, Pro M, Inazuma for cheap stainless.

also, the DP is no longer made out of that cool mystery-DP steel, right? it's now VG10? and even though they changed the metal, it's still called "DP", from what I recall - so there might not be a great way to tell the old and new ones apart. Can anyone confirm this for me, so it's not like I'm causing rumors?

As far as I know there is only one "cobalt" steel used in kitchen knives. That is VG10. Anyway, it's chippy like VG10. You know what they say, "If it smells, and looks like it, that's what it is." or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I have a 2.5 yr old Tojiro and I've checked out a few more recent ones. The fit and finish might have gone down a touch based on those few knives but not a lot. They remain a bit chippy. I recommend Fujiwara, Pro M, Inazuma for cheap stainless.
    just today i was looking at the fujiwara, pro m and inazuma and they're just not as cheap. not that price is the only thing that matters, but i've never used any of them, so i don't know what the cost-benefit would be...
    -thiago

Tojiro is thin stuff, and has hard steel and an integral bolster, and a good profile.they are also impossibly cheap, under 100 bucks. I really cannot figure out their prices. Chippy indeed and bad fit and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Tojiro is thin stuff, and has hard steel and an integral bolster, and a good profile.they are also impossibly cheap, under 100 bucks. I really cannot figure out their prices. Chippy indeed and bad fit and finish.
    not much more to be said about it. the fit and finish, in my experience, relates mostly to the handle, and it's reasonably fixable.

I never really noticed the fit and finish on mine by that I mean that I didn't notice anything wrong with it really. Perhaps they're a little chippy but I think the edge retention makes up for it when you're paying so little