Quantcast
Tojiro DP is not what it used to be? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tojiro DP is not what it used to be?

Hi

I just bought one and returned it, the blade was fine and ill defer to more knowledge here on that subject but the F & F for me was terrible. I understand they are under a $100 so they are not high end but they are not exactly throwaway either. I was not impressed at all the handle was badly finished with large gaps and the riveting was done a blind russian crack whore.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    Hi

I just bought one and returned it, the blade was fine and ill defer to more knowledge here on that subject but the F & F for me was terrible. I understand they are under a $100 so they are not high end but they are not exactly throwaway either. I was not impressed at all the handle was badly finished with large gaps and the riveting was done a blind russian crack whore.

Alan
    wood glue and sandpaper could have fixed it, but i can understand not being happy with it.

I could have gone that way but i returned the knife and for lower cost I purchased a new Twin Cermax which blows it away in every area

well there you go.

Lol

Was not trying to be a smartass !!!

My point is that there are a lot of alternatives at good price points nowadays so theres no need to accept going straight to home depot to fix a new knife.

i had a DP for a long time, 210mm gyouto. i loved it, it was my first j-knife. my only issue was (as everyones) the handle. when the knife fexed, you could see gaps in the middle between the tang and handle. i hated how it was plastic, and it felt really cheap. however, the steel was GREAT. took an incredible edge, and pretty easily too. had just the right amount of flex. id say its a great place to start for a first J-knife

and how did you EVER get a Twin Cermax for less than a DP? they're fairly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubsy View Post
    ...and how did you EVER get a Twin Cermax for less than a DP? ...
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    maybe i'm missing something, but still seems like twice as much...
    -thiago

Ya, Tojiro was not happy with K using their DP series as a 'loss leader' for his store, especially when they were trying at around that time also to spruce up their overseas image with new lines like the Flash and paying celeb chefs like Heston Blumenthal to spruik for them.

The direction of this thread is interesting... until now, the general feedback has been that the DP's Fit and Finish since the price-hike has been much improved and also the geometry is thinner and the blade more evenly ground than when they first hit showed up on the radar in the West.

On the cobalt steel thing, I've seen mention on the board before of Chinese-sourced cobalt steel on the market that is just as good as the 'real' VG-10. I once asked 'Sjejicap' the ebay Yoshihiro seller whether or not the Yoshihiro stainless Wa lines were made from solid VG-10 - and was told that they are not. Now, the ebay page distinctly stated that they were 'cobalt stainless steel' hardened to 61 (or pretty much to that effect)... so what gives? Mere ebay puffery? Perhaps. Or maybe it's a cobalt stainless that is not, strictly speaking, VG-10.

PS: if anyone still wants to try out the DP, they should get in touch with Keiichi/BWJ who has also been selling them. Keiichi would never knowingly ship a dud knife and he understands what we want in the F&F department.