Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tojiro DP is not what it used to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Ya, Tojiro was not happy with K using their DP series as a 'loss leader' for his store, especially when they were trying at around that time also to spruce up their overseas image with new lines like the Flash and paying celeb chefs like Heston Blumenthal to spruik for them.

The direction of this thread is interesting... until now, the general feedback has been that the DP's Fit and Finish since the price-hike has been much improved and also the geometry is thinner and the blade more evenly ground than when they first hit showed up on the radar in the West.

On the cobalt steel thing, I've seen mention on the board before of Chinese-sourced cobalt steel on the market that is just as good as the 'real' VG-10. I once asked 'Sjejicap' the ebay Yoshihiro seller whether or not the Yoshihiro stainless Wa lines were made from solid VG-10 - and was told that they are not. Now, the ebay page distinctly stated that they were 'cobalt stainless steel' hardened to 61 (or pretty much to that effect)... so what gives? Mere ebay puffery? Perhaps. Or maybe it's a cobalt stainless that is not, strictly speaking, VG-10.

PS: if anyone still wants to try out the DP, they should get in touch with Keiichi/BWJ who has also been selling them. Keiichi would never knowingly ship a dud knife and he understands what we want in the F&F department.
    thanks seb. informative.

now, even if Keiichi/BWJ would never knowingly ship a dub knife, or whichever retailer, the question is if the overall quality went down: if the old F&F problems with the handles have now possibly spilled over to the blade. That wouldn't necessary make the knife a dud, defective....it would just have become a lower level knife altogether...no?

this talk is getting me more curious to see one up close...
    -thiago

I have a Tojiro DP 210mm purchased in 2006. Its scales are fitted much better than the honesuki I bought earlier this year.

The geometry is so different between the two, I can't really compare the performance of the two steels.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Years back I purchased a 300mm Pro to avoid the F&F issues of the DP (pretty flawless knife, BTW), shortly after I purchased a Flash; the handle F&F was horrid. The stainless inserts inlayed into the micarta were very sloppily applied and ill fitted. My coworker has a DP honesuki, and although functional the handle is a POS. after a few weeks, it looked like something that was ran through a dishwasher a hundred times... dull, worn, shrunken and ill-fitted.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Years back I purchased a 300mm Pro to avoid the F&F issues of the DP (pretty flawless knife, BTW), shortly after I purchased a Flash; the handle F&F was horrid. The stainless inserts inlayed into the micarta were very sloppily applied and ill fitted. My coworker has a DP honesuki, and although functional the handle is a POS. after a few weeks, it looked like something that was ran through a dishwasher a hundred times... dull, worn, shrunken and ill-fitted.
    `
    do you know when your co-workers honesuki is from? i can't imagine my few-years-back 210mm handle deteriorating like that...
    -thiago

He picked it up off of ebay, about a year and 1/2 ago....

But I must attest, it's still a heck of a blade, and for $70, it can't be touched, as most other Honesukis run $150+....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Henckels Twin Cermax is still a good deal for ZDP-189.

I have handled 5 or 6 different Tojiro DPs and while the ergonomics of the handle weren't to my liking, there were no F&F issues with them. The handle material is a "green" eco-friendly recycled material, not plastic but nearly indistinguishable from other synthetic materials. IDK how well it would hold up to being run through the dishwasher, has anyone done this?

The description of the current Tojiro DPs at CKTG refers to the steel as "cobalt added Swedish steel" which is interesting. If true, that would mean probably not VG-10. Handles are now staminawood, I guess they quit using the old eco-friendly material.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I have just the opposite experience. Same knife, DP honesuki, about 8 years old. Tough little bastard. No F&F issues. The scales are a little worn, but not unusually so for a knife of this age and useage. No gaps, shrinkage or cracks. I keep a 99/1 hamaguriba-esque edge on it and it never chips. Can't comment on the newer production runs.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

so, i took the leap and order a 3-knife tojiro set for my buddy.

they just arrived. i inspected them and though the handles are not works of art, they're decently finished and definitely functional. no gaps, no rivets sticking out or anything of the sort.

something i thought was interesting is that the lamination line is more wavy than i've seen in other DPs, meaning the distance between the edge and the line varies more significantly along the knife. i'll compare to my own when i get home.

because i'm giving these to a friend, i'll get to accompany how the knives age (and probably sharpen them). hopefully the handles will not fall apart.

edit: oh, they did not come with the TOJIRO logo on the left side of the blade.

-thiago

Thanks for the info.