First Deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukas

Reaction score
I have decided to eat less meat and more seafood, so I have the perfect excuse to get a Deba.

I'm not going to break down a whole salmon or any fish of that size, so I'm looking to get something of small/medium length and not more than $150.

I have checked out Watanabe's Mioroshi Deba ($110) and it looks interesting for the price.

Any advice will be much appreciated, specially regarding blades sold outside the US (I get killed by customs every time I get something from the US)

thanks!

I haven't used one, but a Fujiwara fkv would seem to fit the bill.

i had a 180mm tojiro white 2 and it was a nice knife. the F&F was 7/10. it will come in under your budget at about $100.

Thanks,

size wise I'm still undecided between 165 and 180, again I'm not going to break down salmon, so it looks like 165 is the way to go

Some of the pro cooks around here will certainly have useful input. OTOH, a home cook might not need some of the stuff the pro cooks look for in a knife.

My experience with the one Watanabe deba I've handled was that it was a lot bigger and heavier in reality than it looked in some of the pics on his web site.

165 is a really handy size for fish in the typical sizes you're going to pick up for home cooking. You could even do an 8lb-salmon without issue with a 165. I think it's a good, flexible size to go with.

yea sadly i dont think that they come in 165. anywho i dont think you can go wrong with whatever you choose. i also agree 165 can handle 8lb salmon.

i wouldn't go much smaller than 180mm even for a home cook. a 165 can absolutely handle a whole salmon but skinning something like that could benefit from a bit longer blade. also i found that on some smaller fish, bigger can be better. i was doing spanish mackerel a few months ago and found that my 210 mioroshi worked better than a 150 wa petty

Ahh... I use a yanagiba for skinning. I wouldn't want to do the skinning with a 165 deba.

Back