D. Martell Belt Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
My neighbor asked me to make a small belt/skinner/hunter type knife. I salvaged the (O1) steel from my pile-o-shame. Didn't really know what I was doing, I make kitchen knives, just winging it.....

P1010005.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010011.JPG

Maybe for christmas you should do a pre buy of these lol. Really stunning wood with a good blade shape. I'd rock that with pride

Turned out pretty good IMO.

I salvaged the (O1) steel from my pile-o-shame. Didn't really know what I was doing, I make kitchen knives, just winging it.....

I think this marketing strategy could use a bit of work…

Made from reclaimed O1 tool steel, this belt knife has been expertly crafted by kitchen knife maker and professional knife sharpener Dave Martell. Dave describes his belt knives as "freestyle"… each is unique and one of a kind – no two are the same. Blades are affixed to exotic Burl or figured wood handles with mosaic pins; the beauty of the wood is a story unto itself, and when paired with the blade, a knife is created which is sure to put a smile on your face.

That's a beauty, looks like it would be great at skinning.

What TJ said but it needs a bottle opener attached to it, I don't know if you have ever skinned a deer but you need beer to correctly do it, so a bottle opener makes sense

Turned out pretty good IMO.

I think this marketing strategy could use a bit of work…

Made from reclaimed O1 tool steel, this belt knife has been expertly crafted by kitchen knife maker and professional knife sharpener Dave Martell. Dave describes his belt knives as "freestyle"… each is unique and one of a kind – no two are the same. Blades are affixed to exotic Burl or figured wood handles with mosaic pins; the beauty of the wood is a story unto itself, and when paired with the blade, a knife is created which is sure to put a smile on your face.

If I ever need to sell these I'm definitely stealing this. :D

I think the knife looks really cool Dave. However, Tanner stole your show :rofl2:

No really, you should make these and market them exactly as Tanner said.
You make knives, Dave. Really well.
You deserve success.
J

Nice knife Dave. Hope you've got a big pile of shame;)

I have seen worse, Dave :p

seriously, that knife is going to work well I think. And it looks really cool too.

My advice is to eliminate the notch near the handle...gets hung up on stuff and harder to clean....

My advice is to eliminate the notch near the handle...gets hung up on stuff and harder to clean....

I wasn't sure what to do with that other than I knew it had to full length sharpenable. I hate to sharpen knives where the edge runs into the choil. I don't know what the correct answer is though.

That's a gorgeous knife. I've actually been thinking about getting something similar.

It's a fairly substantial pile, worthy of a name. :D

One thing I wanted to ask about your "pile of shame"… do you have anything that could be made into paring knives? I remember some makers used to make small parers and they sold for a modest price. I'd "think" it may be a good way to get knives in the hands of many (don't be fooled by my earlier post, I have no marketing background lol)

One thing I wanted to ask about your "pile of shame"… do you have anything that could be made into paring knives? I remember some makers used to make small parers and they sold for a modest price. I'd "think" it may be a good way to get knives in the hands of many (don't be fooled by my earlier post, I have no marketing background lol)

I might have some shame still left to spread into new knives but I'm not sure that I could make anything modestly priced. It's a good idea I just doubt that I could meet expectations on pricing on little knives.

Quality small parers are hard enough to find that I'm not sure the price would have to be all that modest. I guess it would depend on what the numbers looked like, but it's definitely something to think about.

I might have some shame still left to spread into new knives but I'm not sure that I could make anything modestly priced. It's a good idea I just doubt that I could meet expectations on pricing on little knives.

What do you think the expectations on pricing are, Dave? For example, it is interesting that many of the Kato hunting knives seem to be priced far beyond his kitchen knives on a $ per mm basis. I think the two knife types (Kitchen and hunting) are generally regarded quite differently in pricing terms.

Just trying to explore opportunities for you. It is normal to be conservative and underestimate demand, pricing appetite, perception of value, and general desirability of your own work. Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised :)

Dude, I hate curvy handles and hunting paraphernalia and have to admit this knife looks good and elegant!

Awesome, I'd trade any of the belt knives I've owned for that one ,....and you know iv had ALOT....u should be pleased....ryan

Back