What's a good deba knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamarill0

Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a first deba knife. I want to know what qualities to consider when purchasing one. All information is welcome for me to understand. Thank you

You got your singles you got your doubles. The single bevel is the traditional Deba. A 165 - 180mm is a good size for most fish that are caught or purchased by home cook. JKI and Theory both have some good vids on using one. The double bevel is a more robust knife and is used by some as a beefy Gyuto.

The "What Knife" questionnaire at the top of this forum is a good place to lay out your requirements and get recommendations based on them. For the most part.

Thank you For the reply. Would it be more preferred for stainless or carbon?

What are you cutting? How often are you cutting it? Do you know how to sharpen single bevel knives?

Along with what Theory posted, a good thing to know would be wether you want a wa or western handle, a single bevel (a.k.a the "true" deba) or a double bevel (a.k.a "western" deba). As well as the size of fish you'll be breaking down mostly. You can use a bigger knife on smaller fish once you become well aquainted with the knife but to use a smaller knife on a bigger fish is less ideal.

Salmon, snapper. Not often cutting. Actually have not sharpened a single bevel.

I would say the neighborhood of 180mm is a good ballpark range in size. Although I know some people who prefer a deba more in the range of 200-210mm for large salmon. Are you familiar with the techniques best suited for filleting fish using a deba? Little different than going at it with a standard flexible western fillet knife...use the questionnaire and other, more experienced deba users may be able to give you better recommendations as my knowledge of deba bocho is much less than some others on here. (Theory being one of them)

Ok thank you for the information stonededge. Will go check out the questionare side

Back