Photos of where I work

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Here is a short photo tour of It's a Burl
These photos were taken when the weather was better than now.
I will post more photos as time allows.

This photo is our main gallery. The guys/gals that work here make furniture, carvings, boxes and other unusual things from the burl we get from around here.
us001.jpg

They used to use this old tow truck to move logs and big burls around the wood yard. Now it is one of the many decorations around the place. Almost weekly someone tries to buy the truck. It has sentimental value to my boss so it will be here as long as he is.
us011.jpg

This is the other gallery. It also has burl furniture and other wood items. In the summer a guy who does pottery works there making raku pottery. That's his pottery wheel in the doorway.
us012.jpg

This is a side view of the main gallery. The right portion of the building is where my boss lives.
us010.jpg

The whole building is made with burl and other unusual wood for the posts and beams.
us013.jpg

The grounds are kind of like a jungle. We have a gardener who keeps the place under some semblance of order.
us003.jpg

us002.jpg

This is one of the tree houses on the grounds.
us009.jpg

My summer office is at the base hidden in the ivy. It stays a lot cooler there in the summer heat.

Really cool, its like some kind of mad wood wizards play ground:D
My dream house would be similar, but made of forged metal, and maybe a bit of wood:laugh:

are you guys, like, Hobbits?
:) way cool. Looks like a great place to work.

That is great. Reminds me of Peter Pan or Swiss Family Robinson.

are you guys, like, Hobbits?
:) way cool. Looks like a great place to work.

We've been called worse.
My boss is one of those old hippies that was making stuff from burl back in the 60's. Now he is almost 80 and still at it.
Most of the people here came from the cities looking for a simpler lifestyle. So the place is a mix of unusual people making unusual things out of unusual wood.
I will take some more photos to show you guys what I am talking about. You never know what these guys will come up with.

Cool. I am going to have to make a trip up there one of these days. Thanks for the pics.

Here are some more photos.
I just wandered around taking some random pictures.

Another tree house
w001.jpg

This tree house is used by one of the gals here as a workshop during the summer. Shaded and gets a nice breeze.
w002.jpg

That's where Kirby was yesterday
k001.jpg

Another treehouse
w004.jpg

Dog house
w005.jpg

One of the guys is learning to carve
w006.jpg

The burl barn where we keep the burl caps
w009.jpg

Bicycle
w015.jpg

Tricycle
w024.jpg

Carvings
w016.jpg

Bench
w022.jpg

Front door
w025.jpg

Trash Man
w003.jpg

My office is just to the left of the monkey pole
w026.jpg

Great workplace, thanks for the pics!

Stefan

Its amazing, I love those Doors. Has he done architectural work for other people in this style? They are very Gaudi-esc, just my sort of thing.

Coos Bay is where my dad was from! My maternal granddad built a house in Eastside that is still there.

Coos Bay is where my dad was from! My maternal granddad built a house in Eastside that is still there.

yeah I was born in Northbend, but I haven't been home in twenty years or so. I miss it , grew up in my early years in Naval housing, left young with my family moving with the Navy, but came back every year for 15 years or so. So beautiful. miss it.:sad0:

Latest posts

Back