Quantcast
Usuba
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Usuba

Usuba

I've been craving a usuba for a while now, and Jon's new JKS vid's are making it worse.

What to look for in a usuba? Length, brand, type of steel, price, etc.

Jon - can you elaborate a bit on the design and intended use(s) for a usuba? Re: bevel and sharpening - is the bevel on a usuba similar to that of a yanagiba in that it's two bevels blended together or is it one large flat bevel? How is the back side sharpened?

Many of the techniques and principles in Jon's new vid's I already use with a gyuto; I'm looking for a usuba to learn katsuramuki and improved fine veggie work. I realize a usuba is a very specialized knife, but honestly I'm surprised they aren't discussed/used around here more often. Cheers! mpp

Not everyone on KKF uses single-bevels, and some who do only have an interest in yanagiba (or at least that's what the situation seems to be). Usubas just aren't sexy around here
    Len

I LOVE my konusuki usuba, but it's a bit off from what most want in one lol.

DC
    So thats a Konosuke Kuro-uchi usuba?

I +1 this discussion. Been thinking about asking for a Usuba to round out the beginning of my collection of single bevel knives. Would love to hear some opinions on this topic!

Quote Originally Posted by G-rat View Post
    DC
    So thats a Konosuke Kuro-uchi usuba?
    Sorry I should explain that comment. I asked for two reasons:
    1. The spelling is different and 2. If it is the same company I mentioned I had no idea they made KU finished knives.

Yeah, it's the same company. If I remember right DC picked this up in the big group buy that happened a couple of years ago. It's Fujiyama series, I think, and they will do just about anything in that line, including Kurouchi.

Love my Artisugu Hon-Kasumi. Takes a screaming edge. Still learning to use it properly and efficiently but is going to be part of my collection for a long time!

Yes same maker... sorry I'm dyslexic and misspell stuff all the time... sue me

Yup big group buy They don't advertise (or didn't at the time) this option till we asked about it, they said they would enjoy making it for me I still have not seem many more KU pieces from them.

i messed mine i was workig on up so it will be a while
    least for a harner

+ Reply to Thread