Upcomming Sigma II Stones Pass-Around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Just to give you heads up.

Stu from Tools from Japan has agreed to provide 4 Sigma Select II stones for a pass-around.

These are Sigma Select II #1000, 3000, 6000 and 10000 stones.

They will be available in 3-4 weeks.

I am new to organizing a pass-around, so I will have read up on it and talk to people who have done it to figure out how to manage it best. There will be some conditions, so please stay tuned.

Marko

i've been really curious about sigma stones,. this'll be really cool!

Yes it is very cool and I hope we do more of pass-arounds like these, where buyer has an opportunity to try a product before buying it.

I want to thank Stu and Tools from Japan (KKF member schtoo) for making this possible.

Marko

Add me on please, I was looking at them the other day and almost pulled the trigger, be nice to test them out 1st
Thanks
Colin

How many participants are going to be allowed into this? I would like to get in if possible.

How many participants are going to be allowed into this? I would like to get in if possible.

There will be no limits on a number of participants, but the order in which people get on the list would be determined (at least in part) by participant's level of contribution to the forum.
I think it is fair.

I will talk to a few people over the weekend and try to hammer out terms and conditions.

It might take a bit back-and-forth to work this out, but hopefully we will set up a framework that is efficient and safe.

The only cost to participants will be to ship the set unto the next person. Tools from Japan provided stones free of charge.

M

PS: Spike, you certainly made the cut in the first wave of testers, as far as I am concerned.

i would love to get in on this if possible. I don't know how much I contribute though.:tooth:

Oooooo this is cool! I would love to check them out as well, though I dont need another lesson in new must-haves!

I would be interested in checking them out, but I can just visit you Marko when you have em so you can save a spot for someone else.

Received 10K stone today. Assume the other stones will arrive within days (possibly on Monday). It looks like they might have been all shipped separately. Will give it a try tomorrow. :)

M

Alright! I'm excited the ball is rolling.

Great! I'll be expecting them all Wednesday. :D

Great! I'll be expecting them all Wednesday. :D

Sure, but if you ask people waiting for custom work, Wednesday is likely to be some Wednesday in 2013. :)

Jokes aside, I will put together a list and pass-around schedule and post in the thread.

M

I have tried the stones and will be ready to pass them onto the next person as soon as I get some packing foam and work out a packing solution that would make them damage-proof. I will order foam today and should have it by Thursday.

M

"I have tried the stones and will be ready to pass them onto the next person"

And??? What do you think?

"I have tried the stones and will be ready to pass them onto the next person"

And??? What do you think?

I like some better than others (mostly higher grits), but I need to compare impressions with folks who have more experience using synthetic stones than I. Also, I only sharpened one steel - 52100. These are fast cutting stones and work well on 52100.

In any event, I think I would leave writing a review to folks like tk59, PensacolaTiger, JohnyChance and the like. These guys have more experience sharpening, more knives in different steels, and more stones on hand to compare to.

BTW, anybody who might be interested in trying these, is welcome to get in the line. If you guys in Canada don't mind waiting a bit, we can send stones your way eventually.

@tk59 I will probably buy at least one from the four I tried.

M

Latest posts

Back