Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiritsuke / Gyuto Chef knife

Kiritsuke / Gyuto Chef knife

Heres one I just finished up for a KKF member.

1095 High Carbon blade with Butchcarta burl handles and copper hardware.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hhh Chef knife Feather billet stuff 063.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	2089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hhh Chef knife Feather billet stuff 056.jpg 
Views:	939 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	2090  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hhh Chef knife Feather billet stuff 102.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	2091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hhh Chef knife Feather billet stuff 109.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	2092  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Nice profile, seeing more and more of these kiritsuke style tips at the moment. Hopefully we'll get to see it with some patina

Thanks for sayin so TB

I did make a few changes to my grind on this blade. One comedic and the other functional.
    I have eliminated the plunge line where the grind starts. This is mainly comedic IMO.. As I dont think that the line caused any issues in the knives function. Second I changed my grind on the face of the left side. Added a little more convexity to it. Where B4 I was adding more convex to the right side then the left. But after testing and seeing one of my knives used by someone other then myself. I think both of these changes will make a cleaner looking and better cutting knife..

I would be interested in hearing any comment or opinions on these changes..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

You produce some really nice stuff, Randy...but this one strikes a chord with me. I like the clean look without the plunge line, the geo. looks very functional, and a convex grind is always welcome. The profile of the front of the scales is very well executed. I also like the contrast of the angular tip vs. the curvy heel. Good job!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I really like the kiritsuke tip on your knives. Every time I use your knife I keep thinking a kiritsuke tip would really be cool on this blade.

Its been a great adventure making kitchen knives, and something that I thoroughly enjoy. I learn soothing new from each one and from each of you guys and your comments and posts. I appreciate the complement on our knives. Thanks Guys!!!

Randy

Availible Knives

I just want everyone to know how awesome this knife is. I don't know if I'll get to write a full review but I will try to take some pictures. I'm a k-tip fool right now and the style is working great for me. Once again thank you Randy!

I have the first one of these (with the plunge line and blue & purple butch mycarta) and I have been using it a bunch lately. I really like the 1095 steel, has a nice toothiness, cool patina, pretty good edge retention. Not too reactive. I thinned mine a little myself and added more convexity to the entire blade face (as opposed to the original bevel that ended about 15mm behind the edge). It cuts great, it still isn't a laser, but it is sturdy and stable like my DT ITK. This and the size make it great on the line. The tip rocks, I always break tips on my thin knives, this one is holding up great. I always go for this knife when I am cutting up fennel. After cutting the bulb in half, I can jam the tip in and twist to get the root out without worrying about breaking something.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Im glad to hear the knives are getting used and enjoyed! Thanks for the comments on the knives. Its priceless info that I will use to make the next ones even better..

On a side note, I am planning on doing some more of these with a K- tip in stainless!! Yep. Im gona make some stainless. I know ... I have always made only carbon knives.. But I have took the plunge and ordered enough material to make at least 12 kitchen knives. and am looking forward to learning the process and testing the blades. One of the first ones I do will be a K-tip!
    I have modified the design slightly, adding a bit more heel height and a thinner spine, with my improved blended convex grind. and a slightly beefier handle.

Ill keep you guys updated as I progress with these!!

Availible Knives

Wow, don't know how I misse this post. Great looking knife I'm loving the look of the kiritsuke tip. Any chance you'll be doing a suji in the future? I really like kiritsuke tips on a suji, let us know how the stainless works out. @wildonions I hope you do get a chance to write a review, I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to here about this knife.