Best stainless gyutos under $200?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

https://www.teruyasu.net/products/
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious what people like to use in this range. I miss the Mac Pro I used to use many years ago and I'll prob pick up an uraku at some point. What's good these days?

Itinomonn Semi-Stainless (i feel like its impossible to get rust on these) and Takamura R2 would be my favorites

Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji

Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji
Thanks. Ive owned one already, liked it for what it was. But things like misono moly, suisin inbox western, masahiro stainless are what I'm looking at...maybe nicer. I'm kinda clueless about low end stainless, I'm wondering what low end stuff people enjoy using at work and why.

Tanaka vg10 with Western handle. Very cheap and the handles are actually comfortable.

Thanks. Ive owned one already, liked it for what it was. But things like misono moly, suisin inbox western, masahiro stainless are what I'm looking at...maybe nicer. I'm kinda clueless about low end stainless, I'm wondering what low end stuff people enjoy using at work and why.

I currently own a 240 Tanaka G, 240 Misono Moly, and 210 Suisin Western Inox, all as work knives.

The Tanaka is the best of the 3 by a good little bit. Good balance, nimble, the James model has rounded bits, good retention. The knife leaves diced tomatoes everywhere it goes. It's got a place in the bag forever.

The Misono Moly is a pretty average knife. Choil and spine not rounded (and needs it), holds edge ok, looks ok. Nothing wrong with knife but in no way spectacular. It seems the most obviously asymmetric of the three. The person I picked it up for now has no money. It may go live with Panda soon - I've never owned a Sab.

I like the Suisin Western at it's price point. Good intro knife, good loaner. I prefer the Gesshin Stainless at this price but SWI looks better. I keep it to loan it.

I really like the Masahiro MV-H. I have a 270mm. Very nimble (weighs only 8.2 oz) and well balanced. Great F&F and geometry.

Craig I have used the 240 Uraku sold it to a guy still using it at work. A good workhorse blade. A lot of good choices here. The Inox at Korin does not get much mention is another capable blade. Suisin western like it too.

The Tanaka VG10 at Metal Master is still 120.00 for a 240mm. Hardened to 62 can take off most all the burr one second lateral sweep. Any residual couple strokes on newsprint. Spine & Choil need rounding, but no big deal.

Did not know Jon brought out another entry blade.

Yeah not sure I would go for it at that price. Also at KM that's the beefier Masahiro stainless line, different than the one I was referring to.

i had masahiro mv-h santoku, HATED the steel, found it very difficult to get a good edge and felt awful on stones. gave it away as a gift, :D

the togiharu line are outstanding entry level knives, i even gave one to my mom.

there's hiromoto g3s 270mm still in stock at jck

Back