about #grit, scratches and skills

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While checking some coarse stones recently I noticed that the grit may not be the only point to make the blade look attractive.

I find the biggest problem for coarse and principally synthetic stones is that they scratch the blade.
But actually scratches are unpleasant for the head only if they disturb the eye. So why couldn't we draw scratches that look harmonious..?

Here for example an AI#2000. This stone is known to cut well and make sharp but never to make blades look pretty.
it may look like this:
Scratchy, complicated..

But now same knife, same stone but with STEADY moves

The eye get much less disturbed by the scratches.

So I can't say any stone would give a samourai sword finish but more humble stones than I thought can make a blade look nice.
Naturally using the "right" stone for the effect you're looking for is kind of helpful ;-P

This is nice, I'm just starting to learn about polishing and sharpening but I have been discussing recently with a couple of members about getting surprisingly good looking results with coarse stones after working long enough and lightening the pressure progressively while letting mood accumulate.

Thanks Nutmeg, I'll try that next time I'm sharpening a wide bevel.

The bottom one looks surprisingly good for a coarse stone.

Why do the knives look purple?

I agreed 100% , I've been working on this very hard over the last 8 months

Thanks Nutmeg, I'll try that next time I'm sharpening a wide bevel.

The bottom one looks surprisingly good for a coarse stone.

Why do the knives look purple?

The light was a bit purple.

Here on an AI#1000 (with natural light this time!)
Looks a bit different, not very fine but also not scratchy

I found more important than the pressure was the direction of the scratches, like always 100% the same moves from heel to tip.
Since I swim every day I feel the muscles give more control while sharpening.

I found more important than the pressure was the direction of the scratches, like always 100% the same moves from heel to tip.
Since I swim every day I feel the muscles give more control while sharpening.

Thanks, I was doing back and forth but rather long strokes parallel to the edge. Gotta try going only one way to get rid of some of the "stopgap" marks thanks again for another tip.

Back