Hello from Toronto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_Sutherland

Reaction score
Hello from Toronto! I've lurked here on and off for a while. I"m active on a couple of wine forums and the people that are really into knives there always talk about here. I've resisted falling down yet another rabbit hole (wine, vintage Porsches, Middle Eastern carpets, ethnographic art) but I guess I just couldn't help myself!

I"m just a home cook, no formal training but two old-school french trained chef uncles made sure I knew the difference between a batonete and a julienne from a young age. Grew up using big heavy German knives for heavy jobs and petties for everything else. Depending on the job and the knife I switch between a pinch, finger forward and hammer grip. I prefer a farther back balance point and western handles. I still like some heft behind my knives and prefer shorter lengths but I"ve got those needs filled pretty well and am interested in getting into the j-knife space for more fine work and slicing.

Welcome to the forum Rob. Sounds like you're familiar with rabbit holes. We've got em for knives, stones, cutting boards, cooking toys, cigars and coffee. To name a few.

Feel free to fill a Porsche with wine and visit Florida.

Rob, we should meet up. I'll catch you up on basically everything I know with knives, also straight razor wet-shaving if you would like. You can have a go with my knives before you take the plunge. In turn you teach me about some wine , vintage Porsches, Middle Eastern carpets, and ethnographic art. :spin chair:

Rob, we should meet up. I'll catch you up on basically everything I know with knives, also straight razor wet-shaving if you would like. You can have a go with my knives before you take the plunge. In turn you teach me about some wine , vintage Porsches, Middle Eastern carpets, and ethnographic art. :spin chair:

The wine guys do offlines. Do knife guys do cut-ins? Make dinner together or?

The knife guys mostly do beer. Some wine. Too much bourbon and scotch. A drinking club with a knife problem. :scratchhead:

All those things sound good to me! I've done some wine dinners and have mutual friends with Basecadet who I think was very active here before he had kids (or still is...).

Everyone needs their hobbies and this is a fine one to ad to that list.
Welcome!

Back