Sukenari Ginsan vs Masamoto VG

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmySugi

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm currently looking to purchase either a Sukenari Ginsan 240mm or Masamoto VG 240mm. Does anyone know how the VG steel compares to Ginsan? I currently use a 210mm Hiromoto G3 and I love the edge I can get on this knife. I'm hoping the sharpness and edge retention of the VG is similar because I prefer western handles. Any knife recommendations that are similar to my G3 would much appreciated as well!

Thanks!

Thanks!
So thats a no on both the sharpness and edge retention?
I'll stick with the Sukenari then

Well I wouldn't run out and buy a sukenari simply because you like the steel, there should be more ginsan options out there with western handles...right?

I'm looking for a 240mm. Hiromotos aren't made anymore :(
Looking for something similar

Why not look at R2 if you want stainless? There are good R2 westerns out there

I've tried a Takamura R2 and I thought it was a bit too thin for me. I'm open to R2 but it seems like many of them are lasers?

I have some VG10 knives from Tsukiji Masamoto which is related to Masamoto Sohonten knives that you are referring to. I don't find the VG10 particularly hard to sharpen to a decent level, but they aren't very fun to sharpen either compared to my carbon and semi-stainless knives as they don't give great feedback on the stones. Feels a little "soulless" if that makes sense. From what I've heard (disclaimer, I've never had a ginsanko knife), I'd go with a ginsan knife with good heat treat as it's said to sharpen up nicely.

VG sucks.

Ginsan Good.

Any questions?

I know almost nothing about the subject, if you don't mind would you briefly explain why it sucks?

What would be a good alternative that is similar to the Masamoto (any steel) with a western handle?

Gesshin Stainless, Misono 440, Masahiro MV (the 137XX series with the full tang riveted handle) are similar to the Masamoto VG.

masamoto vg is a very good knife(and taller blade height than the other ones), but ginsan is a way better steel. hiromoto i consider at the lower end of the mid level knives.

Is the ginsan available with a western handle?

Tad ginsanko from aframes or yoshihiro ginsanko for western handle. But to be honest with you I'd rather select a laser based on another reason besides steel type. After sharpening a stainless ginga, suisin inox wa gyuto and a ginsanko knife side by side for the past few weeks I think the differences feel trivial compared to other attributes of the knife(s).

I know almost nothing about the subject, if you don't mind would you briefly explain why it sucks?

What would be a good alternative that is similar to the Masamoto (any steel) with a western handle?

My experience w VG-10 is that it does not retain an edge and it's a beech to sharpen. What a waste of stone. I regard it as the Wally Mart steel as it only appears on low end knives. (Last time I said this I was deluded with responses about both quality, custom, makers that use VG- 10 - maybe in the right hands it may not suck. As much.)

Tad INOX is avail in Ginsanko from a frames Tokyo, Epicurean Edge has some Yoshikane in Western (or did?) with SKD.

(Shakes head a bit)

Masamoto VG is not made from VG10.

And separately a VG10 knife's performance is highly dependent on the maker's heat treat.

Back