Hide alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't one order direct from Hide? Is it different Hide? They don't seem to be hard to find...

Yamamoto-san doesnt have a website selling direct to the best of my knowledge

Is this a different Hide then: handmadeknifejapan.com ?
It says on the site:
"Our brand name "英・Hide" comes from the founder of this company, Hideaki Yamamoto. He has over 65 years of experience, and he is the only craftman who is trained in, and currently doing sharpening for not only knives but also Samurai Swords in Sakai, OSAKA. Today, he is making knives together with his oldest son, Shinichiro Yamamoto, a certified craftsman with over 30 years of experience. "

Same hide, but that's not hide-san's website... it's a retailer based in kobe... I feel like this is a lost in translation thing where he's talking about the company but ends up making it seem like he's talking about himself. I know who that guy is (he's about my age) and he does sell knives from hide, but he is not hide and that is not exactly direct. I don't think he does this out of bad intention... I really think it's just an English is not his first language issue.

For what it's worth, Hide-San and Shin-San are my sharpening masters that I train with each year... I have a very close relationship with those guys.

Gesshin Hide 210mm Blue #2 Gyuto.

Hope to nab a Ginsanko as well when they come back in stock. I've heard a lot of good things about that line and have been itching to give it a try.

@Jon ugh dear Lord... How much does one of those sharpening classes with Hide-san cost.. What an amazing experience that would have to be.

@Jon ugh dear Lord... How much does one of those sharpening classes with Hide-san cost.. What an amazing experience that would have to be.

its not really a class... its more like a soto-deshi situation (i.e. not something you could pay for to get)

its not really a class... its more like a soto-deshi situation (i.e. not something you could pay for to get)

Damn.. Makes sense thou. I can't imagine simple classes would be worth someone like Hide-san's time, except for the most thoroughly devoted.

Back