If you have to pick one knife out of your current collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farberware

Banned
Reaction score
To use it for the rest of your life, which one would you choose and why, please post picture of your Farberware I mean Knife that you've chosen.
This is my weapon of choice, 180mm SG2 .It's light,easy to care for, decent edge and my favorite tip.
aoplud98b6b.jpeg

This is the first thread that I made, please don't hurt me.

Good question and a theme that's riffed on here quite a bit but that makes it no less fun to answer. And my
Answer changes every month but there is something about the authoritative thunk of my Kato Kurouchi.

Dunno. I like to think of most of my knives as good "only knife" options.

Maybe this one?
xNKlTBU.jpg

It's got a very comfy handle and is a lot of fun to use.

Out of my current collection it would probably be my Masakage Koishi 240. It's close to my top cutters while being stainless clad, have a tip (unlike my way nakiri lol), and has the size for bigger tasks.

It changes for me too, especially when I get something new, but at the moment would have to be this Devin 225 ITK
IMG_20170306_202602.jpg
Stainless, easy to sharpen, cuts well, good size at 225-230, comfortable

It changes for me too, especially when I get something new, but at the moment would have to be this Devin 225 ITK
View attachment 35982
Stainless, easy to sharpen, cuts well, good size at 225-230, comfortable
x100. If I could only have one it would be this one.

...and then I would use it to rob others of all the other knives I want back for myself :viking:

Today it's my Kato 180 KU Nakiri. Such a fun knife. Cuts everything with such ease and authority.

Your the only man I have ever heard if I only had one knife it would be a nakiri, I like that

Most probably my Carter funayuki. The only knife I have not considered to sell, though there are some others that aspire for that status. But if I were to pick just ONE knife to use, then ... I would buy a different knife - either a larger Carter or some japanese-made gyuto. It would not be an easy choice though.

Tough choice! At first I thought it would be one of my KDs but to be honest, I would most likely keep this one:

Why? Well, it has a dragon on it! :viking:

It's carbon but reactivity is no issue once a patina has set. And then it's just a great knife, great value for the price. Speaking of price, that's another reason why I would keep a knife in this price range. I think a more expensive knife, let us say above 250$, is something I would baby more than the dragon and then it wouldn't be a knife for every purpose anymore...

maybe my new bloodroot 175 garahonepettyutohiki, hard to think about one knife nowadays for everything, but I had it made to be an all around knife and it's done most things very admirably thus far (breaking down chicken, dicing onions, brunoise, misc. board work, should be great at butchering and portioning, I imagine it would work just fine filleting and slicing fish, etc.)

Easy. Itinomonn stainless. It's my beast of burden. Middle knife in the pic.

AztQS3C.jpg

maybe my new bloodroot 175 garahonepettyutohiki, hard to think about one knife nowadays for everything, but I had it made to be an all around knife and it's done most things very admirably thus far (breaking down chicken, dicing onions, brunoise, misc. board work, should be great at butchering and portioning, I imagine it would work just fine filleting and slicing fish, etc.)

That thing look beautiful, does it cost 1 kidney or 2?

Haha I don't know the going rate for a kidney but it was cheaper than a kato

Excuse me for being new to this, Kato as in Kiyoshi Kato?

Yes, and not such a bad question really as there is a Kato in Echizen making some Masakage and OEM knives which are great knives but less sought after.

Hmm, can I pick one of saltys collection...?

Has to be my watanabe gyuto 180, or the 240 that's nearby. Not too heavy, not too thin; can take a screaming fine edge, but happy nailing through fish bones and poultry cartilage; iron clad but happily reactive, and is one of the most enjoyable steels to sharpen out there with a killer HT.
😍

Not an easy question to answer.... i would have to say, at this point in time.... betwen

A Mizuno Honyaki 240mm white#2 gyuto... and a Haburn 240 Compund grind gyuto.... its got a few very close contenders, particularly fond of the Gengetsu semi stainles from JKI and strangely enough a stainless kikuichi that I reach for quite often!

Hmm, can I pick one of saltys collection...?

Has to be my watanabe gyuto 180, or the 240 that's nearby. Not too heavy, not too thin; can take a screaming fine edge, but happy nailing through fish bones and poultry cartilage; iron clad but happily reactive, and is one of the most enjoyable steels to sharpen out there with a killer HT.
[emoji7]

I can imagine the Aizu - yaginoshima, 1 - 2 knockout must put a fierce edge on it

And the winner is Pleue"s garahonepettyutohiki, if only for the cool name.

Really depends on my mood, and what I'm cooking! Right now, if I were about to be transported to a desert island—equipped with a decent kitchen—I'd probably grab one of the two following knives, my 240 Kato workhorse or lefty 240 Masamoto KS. Both are knives I'm very fond of, they're versatile enough to get me through anything a desert island might present to me—wild pigs, red jungle fowl, onaga sashimi, breadfruit, etc. If just one, then the Kato.

707UJ3Z.jpg

wJx8PCz.jpg

I don't know why but I expected you to chose one of your honyakis

Of course There are some great specimens here and Salty has some of the best, but don't set that Ao Hagane DX Blue #1 Suminagashi back, it is and has been, according to some (myself being one of them), one of the greatest Gyutos ever... and on my short list for ages! The issue is, its some serious Mulah!

IMHO If you can get Iwahara-san to find you one thats nice and thin, with the right belly and tip, you wont want to ever grab anything else! Purportedly the steel on that knife is awesome!

https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...o-hagane-dx-suminagashi-wa-gyuto-240mm9-4inch

i love all my knives at this point but i find myself reaching all the time for my 250mm gyuto from Yoshikazu Ikeda ground by Kasahara in AS it is an absolute monster of a performer. grinds, HT all the good stuff a true goldy locks, not to thin not to thick but just right.

This one: (Maumasi 220 gyuto--Just one knife--I stole the photo from Mareko's page and it shows both sides.)

13775352_666418300165541_7976424016069756975_n.jpg

At 220mm, it's long enough for most jobs, but short enough to deal with a cluttered counter. Amazingly comfortable, even for arthrithic old hands. And it's kinda nice looking.

Back