Noob question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farberware

Banned
Reaction score
Does Ginsanko rust? Just got this Farberware in the mail today 210mm K tip gyuto, I paid $230 for it, don't know it's a good deal or bad.
alopud98c1f.jpeg

Ginsanko is a type of stainless steel so it's rust resistant.

That being said, stainless steel can rust given the right conditions. Some are more stainless than others.

I've used 2 ginsanko knives - Hiromoto g3 and tanaka ginsanko. From both of those makers, ginsanko was pretty stainless and on par with other VG10 and 19c27 knives I've used.

Guys, it's "Stainless Steel", not "Rustless". The stainless name refers to the fact that it does not patina or "stain". Is it more resilient to rusting than carbon steel? Absolutely. However it can still rust.

...Just got this Farberware in the mail.....

The use of Faberware, invoking the name of one of the worst mass distributed knives in the history of mankind, is that annoying thing something you find amusing? If it's a private joke, inside joke, subtle humor or anything else in addition to being annoying as f, pls clue me in. Hugs.

The use of Faberware, invoking the name of one of the worst mass distributed knives in the history of mankind, is that annoying thing something you find amusing? If it's a private joke, inside joke, subtle humor or anything else in addition to being annoying as f, pls clue me in. Hugs.

This is not a gun forum, please don't get triggered:biggrin:
Unless you own one of this.....
odlupa98c35.jpeg

I've used 2 ginsanko knives - Hiromoto g3 and tanaka ginsanko. From both of those makers, ginsanko was pretty stainless and on par with other VG10 and 19c27 knives I've used.

Thank you James for helping me with my question. I've tried V-10, it's ok but I moved to SG2 but now I want to try ginsan. What other stainless/not easy to get rust steel should I try next? Any input would be appreciated.

I'm not far down the road from you. Have Ginsanko, AEBL, SKD, SLD, Swedish, you're welcome to try. I don't own (anymore) any VG-10. (Perhaps you can find an answer there.:groucho:)

I'm not far down the road from you. Have Ginsanko, AEBL, SKD, SLD, Swedish, you're welcome to try. I don't own (anymore) any VG-10. (Perhaps you can find an answer there.:groucho:)

1v1 me in real life, meet me at International mall at 8 PM in front of Gucci, any way have you try SRS15 and how is it compare to SG2? Also how does SLD hold up when it come to rust?

Quality stainless is fairly rust resistant as was stated before but leave them wet and sitting around and most will spot. I hunt in the snow/rain and even VG-10 will rust on a two week camping trip if not wiped dry after every push in the woods. I find most kitchen knives to be the same, wipe 'em dry after you wash them and you are good to go. It isn't like iron cladding, it will not rust if you answer your phone and forget to wipe the knife off.

R2/VG-10/G3 all resist rust rather well. AUS8 is more prone to spotting, as an example.

Hit me with a pm. In old farts english. 1V1? I must have the senior edition of Google. Can meet Wesley Chapel, Tampa, Brandon.

No joy on SRS 15,

1v1 de_dust, knife only! Go Go Go! :)

Anywho, if you want rust free blade you have few choices:
H1
LC200N (Cronidur 30)
Ceramic
Plastic serrated :p

When you are asking for a comparison of SG2, SRS15 and SLD, are you only asking about rust resistance?

My view is that as long as you take basic care of your knives, they will all be fine.

Rinse off with water and wipe dry after acidic foods. Wash and thoroughly dry them shortly after use. Seriously, it takes like 30 seconds. Don't leave them in the sink (they won't rust straight away but there's a high risk of banging something into the frafile edge and causing chips). Certainly don't soak overnight (or they may corrode, especially micro corrosion at the edge).

I do the same for carbon knives (maybe wipe them dry a little more often, but really no differnt in my home use). Not difficult if you work it into your cooking routine. If you are intersted in high quality knives, you'd do well to develop similar habbits.

My generation had cursive.

Mine had computers. Seriously, we started learning cursive in something like the 3rd grade but by the time we hit the 6th they no longer wanted anything handwritten from us. Rather, everything needed to be typed. As such I bet you can guess how awful my hand writing is.

1v1 I would assume is one on one, btw.

Back