I need help from you guys - Please?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
You would think with me having a lot of handle material to choose from it would be easy to select a piece to go on the blade that Mike Davis made for me. Well, it's not. My brain has gone into overload and I keep changing my mind.

So.... I thought if I posted photos of blocks that I thought went good with the blade, maybe you guys would be willing to make the choice for me. .......please?

This is a photo of the blade. I wanted to use something that would go well with the storm cloud looking hamon on the blade, or maybe not. Mike went all out on this blade and I wanted to be sure the handle I make would do it justice.

2011-10-17_16-11-09_557.jpg

These are just from the blocks I cleaned up this afternoon. Tomorrow there will be a few more that I haven't finished cleaning up yet.

This first photo shows a piece of the secret Martian Burl that Eamon told you about. Second is a piece of blue koa that is more like a bicycle reflector than a piece of wood. Move it side to side and it changes from light to dark. Back and forth and it changes blue to purple. Doesn't match but looks cool. Last, some blue Redwood.
h009-1.jpg

Tomorrow I will post photos of the others I am considering.

So far I vote for the secret Martian Burl

#1 is really maple burl. I was messing with Eamon because of a previous comment. The light portions were red when I sent it to be dyed. That part resisted the dye and the other part did weird stuff.

You want clouds, #3 is the obvious choice. Otherwise some regular rewood burl.

If I had to choose one of those, I'd go with #3. Otherwise, I'd go with something natural-looking and dark but that's just pretty much what I say for every knife... :wink:

If I had to choose one of those, I'd go with #3. Otherwise, I'd go with something natural-looking and dark but that's just pretty much what I say for every knife... :wink:

^^^

This, although I have the perfect knife in mind for #1 so if you decide you don't want to use it....

1. You are the weird wood pusher, and I've honestly never seen a piece of wood weirder than that.

Personally I don't like dyed woods, until I saw that redwood, #3 is an easy choice to me. Hell I would buy a new knife just to have that made into a hadle if I had access to a piece like that.

#3, favorite piece and goes well with the hamon.

I lean most toward #3, it's a bit more subdued and doesn't distract as much from the blade.

Stefan

If I had to choose between the three, I'd go with #3. Personally I'd go with a natural coloured wood, preferably a dense burl. Like on my latest gyuto... :D

DarKHOek

Here are the remaining potential handle pieces.
These are a bit more normal-ish.

#4 is buckeye burl
#5 amboyna, maybe a natural butt
#6 lace sheoak

h004-1.jpg

#7 koa
#8 redwood burl
#9 end grain redwood burl
#10 heirloom koa

h002-1.jpg

We'll give this a few days and then use whatever you guys decide.

Holy WoW! Well if you don't choose number 10 I'm going to need to buy it off you! 5 could be pretty hot as well.

I'd go with a natural looking block, with nice figuring. Sometimes understated is the way to go.
From the pics, I like 9, then 10.

O M G
How can we pick??
Now you see what I mean. These are just potential pieces I picked out of blocks I cleaned up the last few days.
I am leaving it up to you guys.
Just pretend what you would pick if it was for yourself.

I'd go with a natural looking block, with nice figuring. Sometimes understated is the way to go.
From the pics, I like 9, then 10.
I agree about understated, it can be kind of fun when you look at something and say "that's nice" then do a double take and say "OMG"
If I was to use #9 I would use the striped end grain for the faces on the body of the handle, then turn a piece to the side to show the eyes for the ferrule portion.

I am going to say... I want ALL the ones you don't pick!!! I vote #10 also....that is super sexy stuff!

Obviously #5 is the only rational choice!

I would use #5 with a blond horn ferruel.

#10 is nice also.

With some nice spacer material, 3, is also a front runner.

Changing my vote to #10.

Latest posts

Back