Question for the Boardsmith

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude

Reaction score
I was wondering what your thoughts on single-piece boards are. I've access to a large piece (30in diam.) of maple that is 40-50 years old and a couple inches thick. I don't see ever single piece cutting boards, and as a result am hesitant to have the wood fashioned into one. However, it seems that as old as the piece is, it should be plenty dry and not overly susceptible to cracking. Are there any other concerns? Is there any reason to think it wouldn't function well?

Thanks,
Dude

I'm not a fan of single piece boards. They do tend to twist and bend as they dry but if your piece is that old, then the moisture is gone and whatever cracks would have appeared are there. The Chinese use chopping blocks made from one piece but theirs are usually quite tall and stay wet most of the time which would tend to slow the wood shrinkage.

I say go ahead and try it - you have nothing to lose

I'm not a fan of single piece boards. They do tend to twist and bend as they dry but if your piece is that old, then the moisture is gone and whatever cracks would have appeared are there. The Chinese use chopping blocks made from one piece but theirs are usually quite tall and stay wet most of the time which would tend to slow the wood shrinkage.

I say go ahead and try it - you have nothing to lose

Thanks for your reply. I'll post photos if/when I ever get around to converting it.

Latest posts

Back