Let's see your custom wa handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While there are lots of pics in various makers' forums, show newest knife thread, etc., I'd like to see one place for inspiration. What you got?

Custom handle

Recent Instagram auction from Anton. Walnut with Blackwood ferrule and crushed Mammoth tooth spacer with brass accent spacers. Pictures do NOT do it justice. Just waiting for a special knife to install it on.

1497898347326.jpg

Last edited:
Brianh - man are you a fast typer! Crushed mammoth tooth. I have to post pictures from my phone then go back and edit on my laptop because my typing on my phone stinks!

Frog - care to share where those amazing examples of craftsmanship came from?
Very very happy to ......... Three came from Carter Hopkins, CII Bladeworks in North Carolina. Top two are Tanaka with Australian Ringed Gidgee, nickel with blonde and black buffalo horn accents. Third one down with mango handle also has one of his blades with the handle, great guy to work with. Bottom is a TF with dyed boxelder, buffalo horn and copper. He is doing another for me right now on a 265mm Fowler gyuto with ironwood, ironwood burl with sapwood and copper. The second one, olive wood, rosewood and walnut came from bensbites, you can find him on Etsy.

Carter Hopkins does excellent work...both for handles and sayas. Top & bottom knife are desert ironwood; middle knife is desert ironwood burl. All have Ukrainian big oak ferrules/end caps and silver-nickel & buffalo horn spacers. Sayas are figured ribbon sapele.

Two from Mario Mammoth tooth and bog oak d shape handle and a buckeye burl with Koa

IMG_2913.PNG

IMG_2430.jpg

Jezz..!
How heavy is the mammoth tooth one?
What's the one with a white/marbled ferrule?

my digi scale is busted at home but its substantial handle i wouldnt say its heavy but obviously more hefty then most wood handles. the white marbled ferrule handle is white turquoise ferrule, buffalo horn spacer, white and blue box elder body and buffalo horn and mother of pearl end cap

Handles and pics from Anton
30858266234_6e80168b3c_c.jpg30889921733_8a627f097c_c.jpg34846223280_4f2e5a5eeb_c.jpg35232999725_65c0baee2f_c.jpg35232999145_b22a438723_c.jpg

Attachments

• 34846222380_33c240da79_c.jpg
    34846222380_33c240da79_c.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 114
Custom handle

Recent Instagram auction from Anton. Walnut with Blackwood ferrule and crushed Mammoth tooth spacer with brass accent spacers. Pictures do NOT do it justice. Just waiting for a special knife to install it on.

Could it be ideal for the Kato Damascus Nakiri?

Could it be ideal for the Kato Damascus Nakiri?

I was hoping. Got the knife in today!!! and it is a beast. Still at work so I can't weigh it BUT I think the Kato will be too heavy for the handle (sobs quietly). The balance point will be too far forward. Need to spend more time with it but first impression is one of pkjames handles would be a better fit in terms of weight/balance.

The handle I got from Anton is very light for it's size. More suited IMHO for maybe my Gesshin Gengetsu?

I was hoping. Got the knife in today!!! and it is a beast. Still at work so I can't weigh it BUT I think the Kato will be too heavy for the handle (sobs quietly). The balance point will be too far forward. Need to spend more time with it but first impression is one of pkjames handles would be a better fit in terms of weight/balance.

The handle I got from Anton is very light for it's size. More suited IMHO for maybe my Gesshin Gengetsu?

I think a review might be in order, oh queen of Nakiri!

Back