Kato 180m Damascus Nakiri...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrivwd today. And eff me if I didn't have to work late and not get home until 9pm.

So no full review but a few quicks thoughts.

Weight 213g. That's 17g heavier than my waiku 180m nakiri.

Profile the belly is flatter much longer than the waiku and my watanabe when you consider the profile as a total percentage of the blade. Maybe some lousy pictures will help.

Finally it came with (as promised) a lousy handle. The machi also has some weird scratches.

Finally the spine has a weird discoloration I have not seen before.

Now all that being said, the Damascus pattern is stunning. I've stayed away from Damascus for the most part as I don't think my stone skills are up to par yet...but I regret nothing!

Morw to follow.

1498012400125.jpg

1498012419147.jpg

Congrats! The scratches on the choil/tang could be file marks (my Kato dammy wasn't finished super polished) and the discolouration could be smoke (from the burn in) that may clean off with acetone or alcohol

Looking forward to more :D

Hi @TheCaptain did you ever do a review of your Kato?

I'd love to hear your comparisons of it, the Waiku, and the 165mm & 180mm versions of the Watanabe you seem to have acquired :)

Hi @TheCaptain did you ever do a review of your Kato?

I'd love to hear your comparisons of it, the Waiku, and the 165mm & 180mm versions of the Watanabe you seem to have acquired :)

I second this motion.

Kato 180m Damascus Nakiri...
Arrivwd today.
Hi Captain, just as heads up on our pleading requests above :)

I see the Captain hasn't been on for a while and I don't know how notifications on here work, so I'm quoting a post in case it helps :)

Back