Tanaka nashiji stainless clad Blue 2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
Title is a mouthful but should say it all. I'm going to post pictures in the next few days but want to go ahead and get things rolling. This knife like other Tanakas is a great cutter with very good food release. The knife is ground a bit differently when looking from the choil and it has a bit more belly than standard Tanakas imo.

This is all being done through the kindness of James who was nice enough to send a sample of this new work to the states. Since it's not my knife to post I'll have to have a few basic rules. First is that you must be eligible to sell on b/s/t (50 posts or a supporting member). Second that the knife be sent to the next user priority with insurance to cover the value of the knife (I'll find out what that is). Third, sharpen only if needed and you are pretty sure you know what you're doing. James can obviously override or add to these rules if he chooses to do so but i think that is a fair way to start.

This will be somewhat limited in time and numbers because James has also offered to give this knife to the community as a PIF when the passaround is complete.

OMG I want in, I have two of James Tanakas and they are godsend, maybe the knife could be auctioned at the end with the procedes going to a charity of james chosing? I dont know what PIF means lol :knife:

OMG I want in, I have two of James Tanakas and they are godsend, maybe the knife could be auctioned at the end with the procedes going to a charity of james chosing? I dont know what PIF means lol :knife:

PIF=pay it forward. Meaning knife will go to someone in need who can't afford it such as a new chef/cook, someone who's lost their kit, etc. Also something that used to happen fairly regularly on KKF.

If t comes to Europe, I'd love to participate

Yeah, I gotta say feeling a little left out. :bat:
Hard for a Tanaka fan boy ya'll.

Anyway, same here. If it heads this way I'm sooo in. :doublethumbsup:

YES,YES,YES!! If there are spots open I would love to be IN!

I'm going to go ahead and start this moving. I'll contact by pm everyone who posted interest...may be late tonight...and start organizing the list. I'll also plan on letting maybe a few more jump on since the current list isn't too long.

I'm thinking I'd like to keep it in the states due to shipping costs but if anyone has an idea how to work it out where someone doesn't get stuck...

I'd love to be in if there's a place available

Just to update this... the knife is now in NJ, sorry about the delay in getting it moving. Pretty sure I have everyone's address and will post the order when I get on a real computer in the next day or so. Sent the knife to Jimbo in pretty sad shape (no stones) but he agreed to give it a sharpen.

Seems to be a decent amount of interest in this in Europe but not sure of a way to make that happen without someone getting hit on shipping...any ideas?

Maybe it is worth the euro peeps getting together and then seeing if James has any other samples lying around (Sorry I may have taken one out of service... too good to return. Mr James is very efficient at taking our money).

Maybe it is worth the euro peeps getting together and then seeing if James has any other samples lying around (Sorry I may have taken one out of service... too good to return. Mr James is very efficient at taking our money).

Can you post your impressions please Alex?

Can you post your impressions please Alex?

I will do Phil.

Need to do a big post with all recent arrivals (Martell, Tristone, Tanaka, Tansu)....

So maybe sometime next week if I am lucky... haha

I am out of the list as I bought one as well, I know I won't be disappointed!

So, I've been a bit slack but the knife is now in NJ and the passaround has officially started. List looks like this so far, please touch base with myself or ChefJimbo if I somehow missed you or you'd like to jump on the tail end. Knife comes with saya (pin somehow doesn't fit) and should be shipped to insure $250.

Cheers

ChefJimbo
Clifton, NJ

ashy2classy
Harrisburg, PA

tgfencer
Fairview, NC

daveb
Brandon, FL

laboroflove
Baton Rouge Louisiana

thecaptain
Cary, IL

ivang
San Diego, CA

Is there still time for me to squeeze in between TheCaptain and IvanG? Or after IvanG?

Okay, some thoughts,

chinacats told me it was a little rough and he had no stones, so I agreed to sharpen. I received the knife with some micro chipping towards the heel and a hell of a twist in the edge toward the last 3-4 inches before the tip.

Needless to say this being my first passaround and taking a literal "strangers" knife to the stones for the first time kinda freaked me out. I was anxious but excited. Figured I'll give it a day and hit it in the morning. didn't work out.

It was calling my name from the minute i started soaking my stones. Poured a scotch, sat and watched the TV for twenty minutes and said f**K it, lets go!!!!!!!!!

I have to say, one of the easiest jobs on a blade I have ever had!! I had soaked the Beston 500, Bestor 1200, Korin 3000, and King 6000 but decided after closer examination to start with the 1200.
2 full passes tip to heel and I had a burr, a few more passes to work out the chips and that tweaky edge and I'm on the 3000, after deburring on the 3k and some champagne cork and Dave Martells rock hard felt, I went for the 6k just to polish the whole edge and remove any stragglers.

Strop on Daves leather (unloaded) with edge trailing strokes and it was hair popping!!

Raided the home fridge and banged out 1/2 dozen red onions, 3 pepper varieties and a 1 1/2 pounds of flank steak for a little fajita party. Chopped some cilantro and cleaned it up for the next day.
Next morning I went full Italian and julienned onions ,peppers, potatoes including some raw proteins in chicken, pork chops etc.
Cooked everything up that afternoon and used the knife to slice some cooked Italian sausage as well as the chiken and pork giambotta.

Cleaned up a watermelon for dessert and I am looking for more....:viking:

Okay, so the excitement out of the way, the knife balances a bit forward of a normal pinch grip, I experienced nothing out of the ordinary in the form of stiction, even with the potatoes. It was a dream to cut with. As Jim stated the Saya pin does not fit, but being a Tanaka, not everyone is the same size. If I shaved the pin it would fit, but let the eventual owner do that. The Nashiji finish is nice to the eye and I think adds something as the edge has already a nice patina from the cooked proteins(if you like blue/gold)and contrasts against the brushed look of the stainless clad. The handle, F&F, with the rounding and easing make it a beauty.

Simply put, next week on payday, I'm ordering one.

Cheers,
Jimbo

Is there still time for me to squeeze in between TheCaptain and IvanG? Or after IvanG?

I see no reason why not...how about after Ivan as you guys are still pretty close?

Okay, some thoughts,

chinacats told me it was a little rough and he had no stones, so I agreed to sharpen. I received the knife with some micro chipping towards the heel and a hell of a twist in the edge toward the last 3-4 inches before the tip.

Needless to say this being my first passaround and taking a literal "strangers" knife to the stones for the first time kinda freaked me out. I was anxious but excited. Figured I'll give it a day and hit it in the morning. didn't work out.

It was calling my name from the minute i started soaking my stones. Poured a scotch, sat and watched the TV for twenty minutes and said f**K it, lets go!!!!!!!!!

I have to say, one of the easiest jobs on a blade I have ever had!! I had soaked the Beston 500, Bestor 1200, Korin 3000, and King 6000 but decided after closer examination to start with the 1200.
2 full passes tip to heel and I had a burr, a few more passes to work out the chips and that tweaky edge and I'm on the 3000, after deburring on the 3k and some champagne cork and Dave Martells rock hard felt, I went for the 6k just to polish the whole edge and remove any stragglers.

Strop on Daves leather (unloaded) with edge trailing strokes and it was hair popping!!

Raided the home fridge and banged out 1/2 dozen red onions, 3 pepper varieties and a 1 1/2 pounds of flank steak for a little fajita party. Chopped some cilantro and cleaned it up for the next day.
Next morning I went full Italian and julienned onions ,peppers, potatoes including some raw proteins in chicken, pork chops etc.
Cooked everything up that afternoon and used the knife to slice some cooked Italian sausage as well as the chiken and pork giambotta.

Okay, so the excitement out of the way, the knife balances a bit forward of a normal pinch grip, I experienced nothing out of the ordinary in the form of stiction, even with the potatoes. It was a dream to cut with. As Jim stated the Saya pin does not fit, but being a Tanaka, not everyone is the same size. If I shaved the pin it would fit, but let the eventual owner do that. The Nashiji finish is nice to the eye and I think adds something as the edge has already a nice patina from the cooked proteins(if you like blue/gold)and contrasts against the brushed look of the stainless clad. The handle, F&F, with the rounding and easing make it a beauty.

Cheers,
Jimbo

This makes me happy:)

Okay, some thoughts,

Cheers,
Jimbo

Will you adopt me?

Placed the knife in the mail today. Priority Mail $250.00 insured. Should be in Pennsylvania in 2 days tops !!

Enjoy,
Jimbo

Back