Naniwa Junpaku8000 vs Super Stone 8000

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam92

Reaction score
Anyone know whats the different between those 2 stone?:idea2:

Haven't used the Super Stone myself.
The Junpaku is very hard. Offers a great feedback. You feel and see a remaining burr being cut off. Not a big polisher though if that matters.

Superstone is softer, Junpaku little harder, the SS has the better polish, the Junpaku the better bite.....

Greets Sebastian.

If you're going to buy a Junpaku8k, buy the mounted version because if you don't you may regret it as these are known to crack and break apart.

j_naniwa_ebi1_2.jpg

Hi dave,thanks for teaching the knowledge,i have try to ask the seller but they don't have the mounted version..

The advantage of a non-mounted version is, it can dry equally on all sides. Problems I've got with Choseras were all with mounted versions. Of course, if things go very wrong, the mounted version is to be preferred. Far from me to discuss Dave's vast knowledge and experience, but if you don't soak the stone and allow a slow drying, e.g. in a towel, the risks seem minimal.
Anyway, if I were to replace the Junpaku, I wouldn't hesitate and have again the unmounted one.

I've not had cracking issues with the Chosera stones or the Snow white. All without base. Splash and go only. I do live in a temperature and humidity regulated house if that makes any difference.

I've not had cracking issues with the Chosera stones or the Snow white. All without base. Splash and go only. I do live in a temperature and humidity regulated house if that makes any difference.
Quite sure that makes a lot of difference. Mine were stored in a kitchen with temperature changes of some 15 centigrades per 24 hours, especially during winter time.

No problems with my Junpaku so far. Unmounted. S&G only. Seaed with marine varnish after first few uses. Live in a place with hot dry summers. We get lots of fogs in winte rbut otherwise not particuarly humid.

I've used my Junpaku maybe <5 times and it already exhibited some webbing of micro cracks. Unmounted version, only splash and go (no soaking)

Have the same, would call it craquelé, but it doesn't go any further and has no consequences.

The last time I used mine I also noticed the webbing. I have mounted version.

Back