Quantcast
Pumpkin seeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Pumpkin seeds

  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    568

    Pumpkin seeds

    Roasted some pumpkin seeds this weekend that turned out great. Anybody else roast there leftover seeds?













    More pictures and recipe here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    750
    Pumpkin seeds are kinda like an everyday snacks here in Singapore. They are sold roasted and sometimes even flavoured. I love them.

  3. #3
    Senior Member 9mmbhp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    57
    A great beer/cocktail snack. I learned to do them Mexican style. Pan roast raw, shelled seeds in a little oil. After they pop, take off the heat and season with salt, ground chile and squeeze of lime.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Justin0505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,435
    Roasted pumpkin seeds have always been a favorite part of Fall for me. I'e done em both in the pan and in the oven. The oven seems to yeolda the most tender seeds, but I've also been meaning to experiment with a popcorn popped.

    Thanks for sharing your recipy, great photography too! What was your setup?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    mr drinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,088
    Whenever I have a pumpkin, I roast the seeds. Nothing special for a recipe, just oil and salt, but I would love to try yours out. I'll also roast the seeds from any squash when the seeds look easy enough to separate and the right size. Last year, I did some heirloom blue pumpkins and they turned out horrible. They were just too big and fibrous.

    k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Roasted pumpkin seeds have always been a favorite part of Fall for me. I'e done em both in the pan and in the oven. The oven seems to yeolda the most tender seeds, but I've also been meaning to experiment with a popcorn popped.

    Thanks for sharing your recipy, great photography too! What was your setup?
    Thanks Justin, I have a pretty nice camera. It is a Canon 5D markII. When shooting food I normally use a 24-105mm L lens. The outside shots were shot using natural light, the indoor shots I use an off camera flash with a diffuser to soften up the light. The last two shots are good examples between the two. The shot with the seeds in the bowl is shot outside with natural light, the shot of the seeds in the jar was shot inside using an off camera flash with diffuser. With the flash off the camera and diffused you can get a more natural look than you can with a flash mounted on the camera. Just think deer in the headlights vs light from above.

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Whenever I have a pumpkin, I roast the seeds. Nothing special for a recipe, just oil and salt, but I would love to try yours out. I'll also roast the seeds from any squash when the seeds look easy enough to separate and the right size. Last year, I did some heirloom blue pumpkins and they turned out horrible. They were just too big and fibrous.

    k.
    Yep, I try to avoid the pumpkins with the big seeds. pie or sweet pumpkins seem to have the best seeds.

  8. #8
    I only eat sugar pumpkins. I don't like the seeds or meat of big ones.

    I used to do pie spice or garam masala seeds. This year I'll probably go moroccan.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    750
    Maybe you can try some asian flavours like wasabi powder or greed tea powder??

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    Maybe you can try some asian flavours like wasabi powder or greed tea powder??
    I have used oolong tea as a seasoning, but not green tea. Is that a popular flavor in Singapore?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •