Quantcast
A positive chef - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A positive chef

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Man to be honest I miss working my 14 hrs a day 6 days a week. I have a more corporate cafeteria style gig right now work 4 ten hour shifts per week, mandatory 1/2 hour break. Its nice because there is no stress (outside of moronic behaviour by cooks or other kitchen staff) I see my family fairly regularly (most days). But outside of the family time which some weeks even with the 3 days off is less than when I worked everyday due to kids starting school and things. I really miss the 14 hr days holding it down on the line.

The other sad thing is although my current job title is chef, there is an assitant manager and a deli manager that I answer to neither of which really knows food or how to run a kitchen effectively. You win some you lose some I know I won't be here for long and there are some nice things about it, its just too slow paced for me.
    Really?! God bless you.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Things like using a new knife, running specials with new product, pretty new waitstaff, fun events etc... keep me going.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

To everyone:

Come back in twenty years and talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    To everyone:

Come back in twenty years and talk to me.
    Been there,done that....I even got the T-shirt

Dont look forward to days off, look forward to pieces of time to yourself. When I'm feeling burnt out I watch the Marco / Harveys videos on you tube. Have goals, if you reach those goals then you were a pussy by not having larger goals... It's all about goals and perspectives--don't go stale.
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

love of knives helps a lot. keeps the focus centered around what you are there to do.

also, keep in mind that most of us choose to do this. we enjoy the long days, bad hours, and hectic conditions. i for one would not know what to do with myself if i had to sit down for a 1/2 hour break in the middle of my day. i think it would make me feel lazy and i would get bored and i would lose my flow.
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"