Looking for a new gyuto up to $200 USD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zabbul

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have been looking for a new 8"-ish gyuto as a gift for a friend and am set on getting something in the Misono UX10 price range, but could be swayed to a different knife if consensus is that the named is overpriced relative to peers. Friend cooks a lot, but has a generic knife that needs to not be his main knife. I've used a global g-2, wusthoff, and a masomoto vg10. Have liked the Maso the most, personally, but would rather have a misono if choosing between the two, and that's why I'm leaning there with this purchase. Other options are the Togiharu inox and Mac Pro (undimpled). That is to say, very open to suggestions, so fire away!

Anyway, here goes:

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western style gyuto (ie, not a wa-gyuto)

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
~8"

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Absolute maximum is $200.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing, chopping, mincing vegetables, slicing meats.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Generic western style 8" knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch, finger

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slice, draw.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Holds an edge longer, has a better edge, feels better in hand, all around upgrade from the department store knife currently in the kitchen.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Damascus would be a bonus, but at this price point just about all the knives I've seen have been good looking enough.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Western style handle, synthetic material, but open to wood.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Want to use it right out of the box.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
At least as long as a UX10's blade is supposed to last.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes, wood.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
No -- will send to store nearby.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
No -- will send to store nearby.

If you want stupid good looks and decent performance the shiki line at japanese chef knife will get you there. If you want all out performance I would go with the takamura 210mm r2 gyuto, its easily the best cutter in the sub $400 range, takes and holds a stupidly amazing edge and is beautiful to look at, given its red pakka wood handle, if you aren't going to learn how to sharpen I would employ you to get a leather strop and some sort of a compound and use that every now and again, I am sure as a home cook you could go a year + between sharpening with no issues with this method, I use mine +/- 20-25 hours a week and it easily lasts a month between stone sessions with twice a week stroping(takes literally 30-60 seconds). :knife:

Hard to argue against the Takamura R2 210 gyuto. Maybe the best sub 200$ western gyuto.

Only other option I can think of is Tojiro HSPS. Much thinner grind than Tojiro DP and a surprisingly good cutter. Food release is reasonably good. Easy to make it sharp as ..... But fit & finish is only OK. In particular, spine & choil badly want easing. There is a little more belly in the profile than the average gyuto, but not nearly as much as in most German knives (for example).

If you are willing to spend a little more, look at Shiro Kamo Syousin Siminagashi. A really well executed middleweight. Quite thin behind the edge but with generous convexity and very good food release for a middleweight. Its a great deal even before you factor in the demure damascus pattern. The R2 steel gets stinky sharp and stays that way for a loooong time.

The spine & choil are eased but not rounded. Not uncomfortable but not as luxurious as a well rounded spine. The rosewood octagonal handle is functional and looks OK. The only caveat is that the blade is quite tall. Not a problem for most people, even an advantage for some.

The UX-10 is very nicely finished, and holds -- once properly sharpened -- an edge most professional end-users will find more than acceptable for a very long time. Has all to do with the steel's properties. 19C27 is quite abrasion resistant, and has relatively big, regular carbides. So it will always stay a bit aggressive. A lot of end users will call that sharp.

One other option is the Tanaka ginsanko najishi. I haven't used it but I've read only positive reviews. Anyone who has used one care to comment?

One other option is the Tanaka ginsanko najishi. I haven't used it but I've read only positive reviews. Anyone who has used one care to comment?

Sorry but I have to bite, if you are gonna recommend things you havent tried... you gotta at least make a better effort than just one... there would at least be 50 other blades that fit his requirements. :sly:

If you do really want the aesthetic bonus I can recommend. Shiki from JCK. I have one of the tsuchime damascus VG10 blades (was my first j knife) and I can't fault it. Still use it sometimes. Takes a good edge and lasts reasonable well. Plus looks great.

If you want a western style handle. One option is the Tanaka VG10 damascus. It's my favourite entry ti the world of j-knives. I have two of them and they are great.

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome and the responses. Today, I checked out a shop and saw the Takamura as well as the UX10. My goal is to get my friend a knife he'll love and not have to take too much care of. Liked the feel and finish of the Takamura Gyuto more than the UX10, but it didn't seem as 'long lasting' (for whatever that's worth) as teh UX10. With that in mind, do any reccos change, or should I jump on the Takamura if it's available locally? Put it this way: I'd love to not get my friend a UX10- what are the reasons to go wit hteh Takamura R2 over the UX10?

The takamura is ground better and if you put a micro bevel on it, it will easily outdo the ux10, there are reviews for her on the forum and from what I remember it's $hit. The takamuras only flaw is that you need skill to use it .

The takamura is ground better and if you put a micro bevel on it, it will easily outdo the ux10, there are reviews for her on the forum and from what I remember it's $hit. The takamuras only flaw is that you need skill to use it .

Perfect -- if by needing skill you mean the same amount of skill as you'd need for a UX10 or global or any other knife, then that's totally fine. If it's more nuanced, I'd love to know what you mean. Leaning toward the R2, btw. Love the rosewood handle, and like that it's taller than the UX10.

I should note, I was also considering these knives: Korin branded Suisin http://korin.com/HKR-SIBGY-210?sc=27&category=13914616

and Togiharu Hammered damascus http://korin.com/HTO-HDGY-210?sc=27&category=280059

But, the Takamura would come in quite a bit cheaper than the Korin Suisin. Concern is mostly that it's sharp out of the box and stays sharp without too much work. If 'work' means sending the knife to a competent sharpener once per year, that's fine. One concern: are these knives all equally good for hard veggies, or does one stand out? Want to get a knife that's great for onions, and also excellent for getting through potatoes and carrots.

Thanks!

Back