Watanabe?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m embarrassed to admit that I am not certain about the identity of one of my knives. (Actually, several, but that’s not immediately relevant.) I’m rather disorganized, and sometimes in the past when I have purchased a knife I haven’t labeled the box (or, if I’ve removed the knife and put it in a knife case, I haven’t labeled the knife). And although many of my knives are readily identifiable from a maker’s mark, in some instances I am unfamiliar with the kanji (and, as is the case with this one, can hardly make it out in order to compare it to pictures of other knives by the same maker).

A forum participant recently asked to borrow a Watanabe, and I am happy to comply – but am not at all sure whether I have singled out the correct knife. I’ve pictured the one I have which I think is the Watanabe I purchased a couple of years ago, and which I am pretty sure was this one:
http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/pro/gyuto.htm
In other words, according to my notes the one I purchased had been advertised as: Watanabe Pro Kurouchi Gyuto 180mm Total length: 320mm, Width: 45mm, Thickness: taper spine 4.5 - 1.6mm, Double bevel Blade: Yasuki blue steel core with stainless outer, Handle: burnt chestnut wood

Can anyone confirm that the knife I’ve posted picture of is indeed a Watanabe?

Thanks,
Larry

Suspected Watanabe.jpg

Suspected Watanabe Kanji.jpg

Suspected Watanabe Kanji 2.jpg

Let's see if I can make this work...

ETA - This is my Wat Nakiri which is my instagram avatar. See if you can zoom in and get a better look at the Kanji.

1498230618024.jpg

Ugh! Thanks guys. Really appreciate your help. Apparently the pictured knife is the 210mm KU white #2 Itinomonn I picked up a few years ago from JNS.

So my Watanabe is MIA. I'm optimistic it will turn up -- i.e., I'll recognize it when I see it.

You will certainly recognize your wat when it turns up pretty much unmistakable in identity unless you have a Toyama too....

Back