The Knife I Will Never List on BST.........

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fillmoreslimm

Reaction score
So What is the Knife you swear you never sell no matter what??? For some crazy reason, I will never sell my Damascus 240 Toyama or my 210 Toyama. Something about them I just cant let go of.

I have two and neither of them are rare or anything like that but both were gifts from my wife. Gesshin Ginga W#2 210mm Gyuto and Masakage Yuki 210mm Gyuto. Everything else I have bought for myself and while there are many of them that I like, none of them are the unicorn that I am searching for.

I'm never selling any of my knives. Most of them I have personally rehandled so they hold more personal value to me for that reason. The other blades were either gifts given to me or have a Stefan handle or are made by Dave and those aren't leaving my possession either.

Wusthof classic 20cm chefs. Gran bought it for me for my 18th and that then was the moment that knives became a thing. Doi Yanagiba - treat to self when I was 26. That was when Japanese knives became a thing.

I think I'd sell any of them if they were worth selling. Having mostly cheaper knives makes them less marketable though, so there are some that will likely never get sold.

For me, it's a Gesshin Hide 240mm blue #2 honyaki gyuto that as a beginner on a middle-class income, I had absolutely no business buying. Still, it was a gift to myself to mark a very special occasion, and it has been in my heart ever since. I love it so much that my wife claims to have seen me cuddling with it on the couch. She would not be mistaken.

Sugimoto 270 carbon. A gift from a friend that sent me down this rabbit hole. It was my first carbon Japanese knife and when I cut with it I had that "oh damn this is different!" moment. I love it because it was my"First".

My Watanabe nakiri 180 KU. It's the only knife I've got from my wife. And I love it!

Never say never says I!

Mainly 🎁, a Massmoto 279 KA yanagiba and a 270 Ikkanshi Tadatsuna yanagi...

Oh, and a 240 HD kono with tactical 6 pin micarta handle.

First one he sold me and the starry night. Both by mert.

Mine is my Tansu knives (both gifts from my wife, particularly my 190 gyuto as my wife bought it from James without me even knowing). And my Tristone Gyuto-hiki I had Chadd make me to commemorate my son being born.

Any of the knives I still have from my original apprentice kit. Mostly Wusthof and Felix solingen cost a fortune to a 16 year old earning $3.43 an hour. Obviously have a strong sentimental attachment.

Though I prefer to gift my leftovers, every time I use my Itinommon stainless petty I just can't believe how awesome that little knife is..

Lars

The first J-Knife I've ever gotten. First of all because it started it all, second it was a gift from my wife. Nothing fancy, just a Kobayashi Santoku. But I had it rehandled recently by Tony Laseur (great guy, great knives .... look him up, you won't regret it).... and now the ugly plastic ferrule is gone

Right now, it's probably the Tesshu 270mm blue #2 honyaki gyuto.

It just clicks with me in all ways.

I could list plenty of knives here, KDs, Shigs, Kato, DT, Watanabe, Kochi, some are simple but awesome, some are simply awesome, some are both, some have been rehandled... But everything has a price.

But from all the knives I own, I could never let go a Wüsthof Dreizack Classic 4582 (200mm). Why? For its performance? Nope. For its geometry? Nope. For its price? No. But for its sentimental value: the knife was given to me when I turned 18 by my mother who has since passed away. Sometimes its not the best performing things, the most beautiful, the most expensive things that you want to keep. And I don't even use it as I prefer the performance of my higher-end knives...

It's easy to say I'll never let my $$$$$ rare knife go. I'm about to move several $250 - $400 knives , but one that I'm for sure keeping is my Tanaka 240. I paid $125 shipped off the BST. I use it with reckless abandon partly because I don't have a ton invested in it. It continues to impress as one of the very top performers I have.

Oh, and I´d also have a hard time letting go of the Jade Dragon by Randy....

I'll never sell my first or my hhh customs, I have a cleaver coming I'll also probably never sell. Or my single bevel dalman or my kato. Basically I'd only sell things I can with reasonable difficulty replace.

Hard to say thought I would never sell my Gesshin Ginga 240 stainless. Since I got the misses a Takamura R2 it was not being used as much. Sold it to a cook at the Royal Hawaiian who uses it as his main gyuto.

Two knives, and a stone:

270mm Shigefusa Kasumi yo-gyuto
150mm Shigefusa tanto

Ashiya Range Suita

A lefty Marko 225 gyuto...mainly because I have beat the holy piss out of it. I Almost took off a finger tip with it, once. I don't get too attached to knives, as there's always something out there I'd love to try, and I dont have endless funds. The Marko...is one with me.

Hmmm... tough one. So far, I've never listed a knife on BST. I treat it as a market place for purchases; never thought of selling. No doubt, finances - or a full discovery of my stash - will force my hand one day. The only one I probably wouldn't contemplate selling is not a particularly good knife but I've had it a very long time. It's my Wusthof Trident 6.5" (160mm) chefs knife.

Bought as a present to self and evokes many memories - sadly even the severing of an artery and a tendon in my big toe, as chronicled in a thread on stupidity. Still serves me well when a better knife might get damaged. I believe the pros around here refer to that as a beater knife. (?)

For a couple of decades I believed it to be an 8" (200mm) knife. There's possibly some commentary in there about men not really understanding six inches, but I'll let that go through to the keeper. (cricket metaphor)
:wink:

Unless something should go really wrong I do not plan on selling:

- Carter Funayuki
- Ittetsu 180 single bevel petty
- BloodrootBlades 150 utility knife
- 2015 Bladeforums knife (2 bladed traditional slipjoint)

Back