Bonjour from Québec, Canada

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boule_le_Dogue

Reaction score
Bonjour, I am a French pro cook now living in Québec Capitale Nationale, Québec, Canada.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in? Chef, santoku, nakiri and petty

Are you right or left handed? right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese handles mostly

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 120 to 180

Do you require a stainless knife? No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? up to 300$, which is a lot for me : most cooks are on low wages...

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? At work first, then at home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for? as a pro cook, I use 3 or 4 knives on a daily basis to do a wide range of tasks.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Last one was a santoku

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? oval-shaped

What cutting motions do you primarily use?...

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Couldn't say, I choose my knives very carefully, knowing exactly what I want to feel cause I'll be working with them every day. They have to be versatile though.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) wood and synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? No

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? No

Soyez le bienvenu, Boule_le_Dogue.
Isn't a 180mm a bit short in a pro environment? And would you consider a 180mm gyuto as well?

Thank you :)

At work, I mostly use a 190mm santoku, a 160mm chef and a 165mm nakiri.

My 180mm Watanabe nakiri is staying at home for now :p

My next knife will probably be a 210+ gyuto.

Back