Quantcast
Devin Thomas "Dark Side" Gyuto review - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Devin Thomas "Dark Side" Gyuto review

Engorged Member
    What is it-some type of carbon steel that Devin has decided is better than 52100...but he won't tell anyone what it is.

What did it cost- Hoss charges $70 an inch for monosteel the last time I checked, if he'd even do it. He told me he hated finishing this blade because its so resistant and now prefers using this steel as a core in san mai construction.

Why does this knife perform better than my 52100 or AEB-L DTITK- This knife is thinner behind the edge and through the tip.

Is it worth the extra money- **** YES!

According to Hoss, it is a bit more wear-resistant than 52100. What makes it better is mainly thinness behind the edge but the entire grind seems to be a bit better. Objectively, it is hard to say if it's the customness of it or if it's the fact that he's zeroing in on what works best. My guess would be mostly the former. Is it worth it? If I'd never found this forum, my kitchen and the things I cook and the standards I demand would be a lot different. Still, you only live once and if you average half an hour a day cutting stuff in the kitchen, it adds up. These knives are arguably nicer to use than anything else I've used other than my favorite Carter. I can't seem to decide which I like best but they are pretty close in cost with a rehandle thrown in with the Carter and considering the fit and finish on the DT. Also, the more DT's I try, the more I'm convinced no one works on perfecting the HT more than Hoss. It makes his knives hold an edge a very long time without chipping and they sharpen up like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    What is it-some type of carbon steel that Devin has decided is better than 52100...but he won't tell anyone what it is.

What did it cost- Hoss charges $70 an inch for monosteel the last time I checked, if he'd even do it. He told me he hated finishing this blade because its so resistant and now prefers using this steel as a core in san mai construction.

Why does this knife perform better than my 52100 or AEB-L DTITK- This knife is thinner behind the edge and through the tip.

Is it worth the extra money- **** YES!
    Argh. Just what I didn't want to hear.... 10-inch DT Custom at $700! Have to start saving up before Xmas... great.

So, the next question is... How do we convince Hoss to roll this out?

And one more... how does this compare to the Damascus customs that Hoss makes? Does this new Carbon knife come close in performance? I've never seen a review of DT's Damascus gyutos, but that's on my wish list (prior to this thread).

Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by mindbender; 10-29-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: grammar... grammar...
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said: "I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by mindbender View Post
    ...how does this compare to the Damascus customs that Hoss makes? Does this new Carbon knife come close in performance?...
    You don't buy damascus because the performance is better. I'd bet money the mystery steel knife is at least as good.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    You don't buy damascus because the performance is better. I'd bet money the mystery steel knife is at least as good.
    Ok. Nuff' said. You guys have got me hooked.
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said: "I drank what?"

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mindbender View Post
    Argh. Just what I didn't want to hear.... 10-inch DT Custom at $700! Have to start saving up before Xmas... great.

So, the next question is... How do we convince Hoss to roll this out?

And one more... how does this compare to the Damascus customs that Hoss makes? Does this new Carbon knife come close in performance? I've never seen a review of DT's Damascus gyutos, but that's on my wish list (prior to this thread).

Thanks for the info!
    I've got a custom sujihiki on order with Hoss I'm hoping to see before Xmas...after watching him work, I bet its as good a grind if not better than my Mystery Gyuto

Engorged Member
    Devin Thomas makes a nice knife. It has been a couple of year since I bought this knife. I recently "rediscovered" this knife. I don't know why I'd stopped using this knife. Maybe it's because it's carbon and I've been trying to like stainless, or it could be that when I moved I put this in a non-knife drawer and found it looking for a microplane. It had been there, waiting.

I made coleslaw with it, then I cleaned up a boneless leg of lamb then sliced it after roasting it. I powered through a pick-nick for work including a couple of pork shoulders, fruit salad, and a white bean salad. The list goes on. I carry the knife in my car to friends and family and have used it a lot. It doesn't look like much...it's dull from being cleaned up with BKF and got a pretty good protein patina on top of that. It is no longer a new knife, but it is still awesome.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Nope...it's no good anymore. Better just sell it to me.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

+ Reply to Thread