Treager pellet smoker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just jumped on one of these last time I was at Costco. From what I hear these are just plug and go, set the temp/ wait until your meat is done deals. My experience with smoking is pretty limited, just what I've done working at a few restaurants. They all smoked smaller meats in a 4 inch perforated hotel, with the chips in a six inch hotel, all covered on the stove.
Anyways, is there any tips or tricks here he KKF can give me about this smoker? Or tried and true recipes for ribs, chicken, etc.? Thanks yall

I don't have a treager but I have a Yoder for some years now. They are a great smoker for a bbq beginner. Thimk of them as a wood fired oven. You can make excellent bbq with them but also pizza, breads, casseroles, really anything you can in an oven that you want to give some smoke flavor to.

There are a lot of BBQ websites and forums out there, literally hundreds. If you're new to the whole thing start at Meatheads site, amazingribs.com. Everything you need to know is right there.

Before you do, be aware that the BBQ rabbit hole is even deeper, darker and wider than this one. But Jeez it tastes good.

Ive owned most of the pellet cookers over the years and now have a Yoder. This site has some great smoker based recipes to get you started
http://www.smoking-meat.com
He touts his special rub. It's good, but not magic. Lots of paprika and brown sugar along with the usual spices. I've found that pellet flavors of most brands don't vary a whole lot because most are 70-80% filler woods (oak and alder mainly) and only a fraction of the flavor wood printed on the bag. Cookinpellets.com sells pure hickory and a good blend that has great flavor. They are on amazon too. A Thermapen is nice for quick internal temp checks. Frog may or similar grilling mat is nice for small stuff like veggies and shrimp. Lots of fun to use and they turn out some great food.

Back