wanting to upgrade my santoku.....or "do i really need a gyuto?"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenit

Reaction score
For a number of years i've had 3 knives. Global Santoku GS-48, Global veggie chopper gs-5, and a small Shun utility knife. The santoku gets used for 99% of my cooking and i absolutely love that knife. At this point it is getting a bit beat up, so I want to use this opportunity to maybe upgrade it or dabble into the world of carbon steel knives. I've been browsing through alot of knife-related internet forums, and the most popular knife for most people is a gyuto type. The big question, however is "Do i really need one?". I am very used to and like my smaller santoku, and while my wife uses a bigger chef's type Wusthof knife. i totally shy away from it. It feels clumsy, heavy and I prefer the flatter blade on a santoku. Also my cutting area is limited to 14x14 inches. Naturally due to my experience with Wusthof and concerns about space, I have some reservations about a big Gyuto. I am a pesceterian, so 96% of my cutting involves veggies.

Should I go for it and try a Gyuto, or will another type of knife be a better option. Other options being a higher end Santoku, a nice Nikiri
or a short Gyuto.

These seem to be within the budget:
Moritaka 240 Gyuto

Kanehiro 210 or 240

http://www.**************.com/kawa21.html
Watanabe 180mm Gyuto or one of their santokus

http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/pro/gyuto.htm

Takagi honyaki gyuto or nakiri - their gyuto seems very flat which is nice.

These are just examples of knives within the budget.
I want a knife that will last a long time with everyday use.

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
???
Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
to give my Global Santoku some rest and try out the world of carbon steel knives.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Santoku is my absolute favorite, GS-5 feels a bit small in my big hands and Shun utility is great for fine tasks. Don't like to use my wife's Wusthof at all.
Aesthetics- meh, not important
Edge Quality/Retention- needs to be sharp, and I like flat edge
Ease of Use- I am used to smaller blade
Comfort- I am not a pro, and most of the time i cook for 2 people

What grip do you use?

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
Depends on what I am cutting.
Where do you store them?
Magnet strip
Have you ever oiled a handle?
no
What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
Wood
For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
I have a pull-through for my globals and have access to some honing stones (somebody else usually does that for me).
Have they ever been sharpened?
Yes
What is your budget?
$200ish
What do you cook and how often?
Pesceterian, 96% Veggies, 3% Fish, 1% chicken for wife.
Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
I want a japanese knife with a japanese-type handle.

Back