Sundial Damascus Blanks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damascus on Ebay usually comes from India or Pakistan. Low quality stuff.

M

Beautiful blades, 100% positive feedback in the last 12 months, 1,400+ items sold, 2 week return privileges. I'm tempted.

I wonder if this is the hubcap/fender or monitor/motherboard combo steel? :D

All joking aside the seller states it's "1095/15N20 Steel" which to me sounds like an American maker made the blanks. The pricing is what sounds so suspicious though, very cheap.

I wonder if this is the hubcap/fender or monitor/motherboard combo steel? :D

All joking aside the seller states it's "1095/15N20 Steel" which to me sounds like an American maker made the blanks. The pricing is what sounds so suspicious though, very cheap.
Lying about steel combinations isn't uncommon. I would be as happy as anyone to learn that they are actually "good." But I doubt it.

A casual search of the web showed that double annealed damascus blanks, ~2" x .18", can be obtained for $6-$7 per inch, quantity one. I imagine if you searched more and ordered 25 at a time you could get a decent discount. Here's an example:

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=46_186_185_256&products_id=2423

And here's a link to another eBay vendor selling damascus blanks hand-forged, laser-cut and heat-treated in Alabama for ~$50:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALABAMA-DAM...586?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item3cbd5e0652

It's buck wild that anyone can make a living selling crap that cheap.

If it is 1095, of course.

Why bother with miscellaneous junk when RANDY HAAS and his son are making badass damascus right here on the forum?

I know of 2 folks that have bought them. they a BEAUTIFUL to look at, but im guessing from the performance they are made from car fenders and rebar with a bit of nickle thrown in the mix. IF they are 1095/15N20 they have been WAY overheated. Ive re beveled and sharpened one for a friend of mine. I was not impressed at all with them.
But having said that, Its got a 2 week return policy, try them and see. Just dont get your hopes up. You get what you pay for.

God Bless
Mike

Back