Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 240mm mono-steel Wa-Gyuto with 2 tone Amboyna handle.

Very nice! Is it my imagination or is the handle tilted slightly up from the spine?

Tk we have a phrase in blacksmithing circles "eyes like a sh$t house rat". Its what you get from years of eying up metal in dark workshops.
    Your quite correct. It's deliberate. My thinking, that a tiny bit of upsweep on the handle could only be a good thing for angle of approach and comfort. I like the way it accentuates any optical illusion of upsweep to the knife, (more so in Suji) and the way it makes the knife look poised. But not enough to make it look "wrong".
    It just feels right in the hand to me. I'm sure i've seen it on some other knives. Good thing or bad thing?

Engorged Member
    i like it.

Nice job! Love It

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbybrocks View Post
    Tk we have a phrase in blacksmithing circles "eyes like a sh$t house rat". Its what you get from years of eying up metal in dark workshops.
    Your quite correct. It's deliberate. My thinking, that a tiny bit of upsweep on the handle could only be a good thing for angle of approach and comfort. I like the way it accentuates any optical illusion of upsweep to the knife, (more so in Suji) and the way it makes the knife look poised. But not enough to make it look "wrong".
    It just feels right in the hand to me. I'm sure i've seen it on some other knives. Good thing or bad thing?
    I think it is probably user dependent. If your elbow is high off of your board, it could be a good thing but if the counter is tall relative to your elbow/shoulder, then it would be less desirable. As far as the look, I prefer the alignment straight but a lot of people like it upswept, I'm sure.

Atta' boy, Will.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbybrocks View Post
    GOOD THING

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I think it is probably user dependent. If your elbow is high off of your board, it could be a good thing but if the counter is tall relative to your elbow/shoulder, then it would be less desirable. As far as the look, I prefer the alignment straight but a lot of people like it upswept, I'm sure.
    Exactly my thoughts. I could appreciate (or at least tolerate) a bit of upswing when I'm at work, where the prep counters are built by and for the Munchkins of the Lollipop Guild. At home though, where my board is positioned at the perfect height, upswing would be less attractive.

Either way, it's a sweet knife, Will. The blade profile is killer and the wood is fantastic. You done good, cracker!

I don't see the upsweep being a negative. Even if you prefer a perfectly flat handle to blade contact, I don't think this one is drastic enough to bother anyone.
    Great job, Will! The etching looks great too!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    there is a tiny amount of angle on my Shig (Keller handle installed by Dave, i believe), about the amount in the photos of this knife, and i really like it. i don't mind perfectly straight, either, but that tiny angle works well for me.

any chance of making this a bit harder in the future, RBB? i'd be very interested in one, but i really like knives to be 61+ (all things being equal).