Quantcast
ebay MAC bread knives - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ebay MAC bread knives

Well, thanks for the link anyway--bread knives or not! I might pick up a knife or two to give as gifts come the holiday season.
    - Erik

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    Yea, I tried to figure out why the tojiro's were so revered. All I was told was "it cuts really well" and then I was shown some pretty cool videos. Be that as it may, I'm not sure why it cuts so much better than say, a Shun, or Forschner. As far as I know (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), the MAC is the only one with scallops?
    as far as blades go the MAC and Tojiro are almost identical. same shape/scallop/lenth/similiar steel (both molybdenum),only real difference is the handles. i got the tojiro, and love it.

oh, and curiously enough Wusthof makes a scalloped bread knife too.
    http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wustho...r-slicer-p1681

Can one of you guys who have the Tojiro shoot a picture of the teeth/scallops? The one semi-close up that I saw on this looked more like rounded teeth than scallops like the MAC has. I'd just like to see a more clear close up if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubsy View Post
    as far as blades go the MAC and Tojiro are almost identical. same shape/scallop/lenth/similiar steel (both molybdenum),only real difference is the handles. i got the tojiro, and love it.
    There might be one other main difference: the tojiro has a right-biased edge grind - kind of like Shun's (and Cuisinart's) knives. The MAC, I believe (I'll get it in a few days) is not ground like that. I'm not sure if that makes one "better" or "worse" than the other, but it is a point of difference (if memory serves me correct).

then i withdraw my comment.

This is a bit off-subject, but I sharpen my no-name bread knife on a stone, ignoring the groove portion. It seems to work. Does anyone else do this? Is it adviseable?

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    darn - sorry guys/gals - i thought there were more - didn't mean to post about something and have it be so short-lived! well, at least Hermes got a jump on one (i think it was 37 for the 9" and 53 for the big 'un). damn - i was planning on buying a lot of these later today and giving fruit cake and bread knives for the holidays.
    He may be out of the bread knives but some chainsaw parts remain to tackle the fruitcake...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    This is a bit off-subject, but I sharpen my no-name bread knife on a stone, ignoring the groove portion. It seems to work. Does anyone else do this? Is it adviseable?

Keith

If you only sharpen the reverse side (which I'm assuming you mean?) the serration pattern will eventually disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    If you only sharpen the reverse side (which I'm assuming you mean?) the serration pattern will eventually disappear.
    An added bonus!

Just kidding, I love my sandwich knife.

here's the scallops:

This is the backside, I probably shouldn't have taken the picture against a metal background, lol. it is the brushed metal on the bottom. note there is a slight convexity From where the blade was slack belted.

supposed to be DP steel, but I find it is far less chippy than my dp gyuto.