Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ebay MAC bread knives

Here is the Photo from Ebay- not much detail.

So going by Eamon's photo the new Tojiro bread knife is actually dull/rolled tip serrations (not scalloped) which is what I was thinking they were based on photos. This really clears this up for me, thanks Eamon.

how is the mac Different?

stole this from Chad Ward. I hope he doesn't mind:

MAC on top. No idea what the others are. I think we need a head-to-head if we actually wanted to see a difference b/t Tojiro and MAC because they look pretty darn similar (I'll have a MAC in a few days so I'll put up picx). But, Mark himself did say that the Tojiros are NOT exactly like the MAC on the edge - "The edge is more aggressively serrated on the right side - more like the Shun bread knife ..." - nearly verbatim from his youtube spot when he's talking about Tojiro vs. MAC (about 1 min in).

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    how is the mac Different?

The MAC is a reverse pattern to the Tojiro. If we could get someone to morph the 2 edge pictures into one we could show the difference. For now you can see that the Tojiro has a pointy part hanging low or protruding (like a standard serration tip - just rounder) while the MAC has a crescent shaped scallop hanging or protruding.

Any idea what practical difference the reverse pattern will make in this case?

Like.. the more "aggressive" serrations might leave more crumbs on bread, but be better for a pineapple? (Or something?) Is there any reason to get the more expensive of the two knives?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    The MAC is a reverse pattern to the Tojiro. If we could get someone to morph the 2 edge pictures into one we could show the difference. For now you can see that the Tojiro has a pointy part hanging low or protruding (like a standard serration tip - just rounder) while the MAC has a crescent shaped scallop hanging or protruding.
    I think you are looking at my second photo inversely! I realized afterward I shouldn't have taken the photo on a metal background. The knife is the bottom half of the photo, the metal on the top half is my work counter. The edge of the Tojiro is an even sine wave.

One difference is that the portion of the scallops closer to the spine of the knife looks pointier on the MAC than the Tojiro...sort of like the MAC has scallops aligned next to each other and the Tojiro is basically a wavy line.

supposed to be DP steel, but I find it is far less chippy than my dp gyuto.
    Its actually molybdenum steel, not the cladded VG10 on DP's

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

I think you are looking at my second photo inversely! I realized afterward I shouldn't have taken the photo on a metal background. The knife is the bottom half of the photo, the metal on the top half is my work counter. The edge of the Tojiro is an even sine wave.

One difference is that the portion of the scallops closer to the spine of the knife looks pointier on the MAC than the Tojiro...sort of like the MAC has scallops aligned next to each other and the Tojiro is basically a wavy line.
    Gotta love it when someone uses sine waves to describe the shape of the edge on a knife

I don't know Eamon, I looked again and they seem different to me. Hmmmm.....