Quantcast
ebay MAC bread knives - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: ebay MAC bread knives

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    When in doubt, always keep the bigger one.
    +1. I've always regretted buying a 210 gyuto. They have all been turned into beater's or gifts/family donations. Nice to have but not the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    So my MAC bread knives just arrived - and indeed they are as dave describes (i.e. different than the tojiro). .... [snip]
    So what difference does this difference make? I've heard them described as reverse of each other (though I can't see that in the photos); also one having the "more aggressive" serrations (scallops)... is that true? If it's true, is that better? Worse? Better for some things worse for others? .... Irrelevant?

That is if anyone has actually cut with both. Or even has a well-thought out guess, I'd be interested to know.

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    So my MAC bread knives just arrived - and indeed they are as dave describes (i.e. different than the tojiro). But now the REAL question remains: do I keep the 220 and sell the 270, or do I keep the 270 and sell the 220? The scallops are identical. There is a difference in that the 270 is far taller and has that curved/upswept blade. My knifeblock will only hold a 220 (so I'd have to get a cover for the 270 and stick it in a drawer if I kept it) ... but the 270 is the "ideal bread knife" from way-back-when. What would you do?

Thanks for confirming this Terry. Oh and keep them both!

Keep the 270. You'll appreciate the length when slicing some 1kg boules or miches.

My MAC 270 arrived as well, its a pretty standard factory knife. Lots of rough grinds and the handle is just a couple of slabs of wood.

Cuts very nice, I am a fan of that blade shape on a slicer.