ebay MAC bread knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome! just bought one, 37 bucks is a hell of a deal... especially with free shipping! thanks a lot!

great deal ashame the bread knives are gone

darn - sorry guys/gals - i thought there were more - didn't mean to post about something and have it be so short-lived! well, at least Hermes got a jump on one (i think it was 37 for the 9" and 53 for the big 'un). damn - i was planning on buying a lot of these later today and giving fruit cake and bread knives for the holidays.

darn - sorry guys/gals - i thought there were more - didn't mean to post about something and have it be so short-lived! well, at least Hermes got a jump on one (i think it was 37 for the 9" and 53 for the big 'un). damn - i was planning on buying a lot of these later today and giving fruit cake and bread knives for the holidays.

Yup, how big where the larger ones? I only got a 9"

10.5"
i got one of them for the sake of getting one, but i've never had such a long bread knife before (i'm using some cuisinart p.o.s.). while i'm sure it'll cut better than the cuisinart, if i have no place to store it, then you'll see it in the b/s/t forum.

Oh, no biggie. Happy with my purchase. I heard these are pretty good bread knives. Was considering the tojro it's ones but I couldn't pass this up.

Was considering the tojro it's ones but I couldn't pass this up.
Yea, I tried to figure out why the tojiro's were so revered. All I was told was "it cuts really well" and then I was shown some pretty cool videos. Be that as it may, I'm not sure why it cuts so much better than say, a Shun, or Forschner. As far as I know (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), the MAC is the only one with scallops?

Yea, I tried to figure out why the tojiro's were so revered. All I was told was "it cuts really well" and then I was shown some pretty cool videos. Be that as it may, I'm not sure why it cuts so much better than say, a Shun, or Forschner. As far as I know (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), the MAC is the only one with scallops?

Nah the Tojiro is scalloped. It's cheap, and got a design that was custom made by forumites. Kind of a group "what would be the ideal bread knife" thing.

Well, thanks for the link anyway--bread knives or not! I might pick up a knife or two to give as gifts come the holiday season.

as far as blades go the MAC and Tojiro are almost identical. same shape/scallop/lenth/similiar steel (both molybdenum),only real difference is the handles. i got the tojiro, and love it.

oh, and curiously enough Wusthof makes a scalloped bread knife too.
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wusthof-gourmet/super-slicer-p1681

Can one of you guys who have the Tojiro shoot a picture of the teeth/scallops? The one semi-close up that I saw on this looked more like rounded teeth than scallops like the MAC has. I'd just like to see a more clear close up if possible.

as far as blades go the MAC and Tojiro are almost identical. same shape/scallop/lenth/similiar steel (both molybdenum),only real difference is the handles. i got the tojiro, and love it.
There might be one other main difference: the tojiro has a right-biased edge grind - kind of like Shun's (and Cuisinart's) knives. The MAC, I believe (I'll get it in a few days) is not ground like that. I'm not sure if that makes one "better" or "worse" than the other, but it is a point of difference (if memory serves me correct).

This is a bit off-subject, but I sharpen my no-name bread knife on a stone, ignoring the groove portion. It seems to work. Does anyone else do this? Is it adviseable?

Keith

He may be out of the bread knives but some chainsaw parts remain to tackle the fruitcake... :pirate1:

This is a bit off-subject, but I sharpen my no-name bread knife on a stone, ignoring the groove portion. It seems to work. Does anyone else do this? Is it adviseable?

Keith

If you only sharpen the reverse side (which I'm assuming you mean?) the serration pattern will eventually disappear.

If you only sharpen the reverse side (which I'm assuming you mean?) the serration pattern will eventually disappear.

An added bonus!

Just kidding, I love my sandwich knife.

here's the scallops:
2011-10-25%25252013.49.25.jpg

This is the backside, I probably shouldn't have taken the picture against a metal background, lol. it is the brushed metal on the bottom. note there is a slight convexity From where the blade was slack belted.
2011-10-25%25252013.50.27.jpg

supposed to be DP steel, but I find it is far less chippy than my dp gyuto.

Here is the Photo from Ebay- not much detail.

So going by Eamon's photo the new Tojiro bread knife is actually dull/rolled tip serrations (not scalloped) which is what I was thinking they were based on photos. This really clears this up for me, thanks Eamon.

stole this from Chad Ward. I hope he doesn't mind:
1214486255-Scalloped-Granton-Serrated.jpg

MAC on top. No idea what the others are. I think we need a head-to-head if we actually wanted to see a difference b/t Tojiro and MAC because they look pretty darn similar (I'll have a MAC in a few days so I'll put up picx). But, Mark himself did say that the Tojiros are NOT exactly like the MAC on the edge - "The edge is more aggressively serrated on the right side - more like the Shun bread knife ..." - nearly verbatim from his youtube spot when he's talking about Tojiro vs. MAC (about 1 min in).

how is the mac Different?

The MAC is a reverse pattern to the Tojiro. If we could get someone to morph the 2 edge pictures into one we could show the difference. For now you can see that the Tojiro has a pointy part hanging low or protruding (like a standard serration tip - just rounder) while the MAC has a crescent shaped scallop hanging or protruding.

Any idea what practical difference the reverse pattern will make in this case?

Like.. the more "aggressive" serrations might leave more crumbs on bread, but be better for a pineapple? (Or something?) Is there any reason to get the more expensive of the two knives?

The MAC is a reverse pattern to the Tojiro. If we could get someone to morph the 2 edge pictures into one we could show the difference. For now you can see that the Tojiro has a pointy part hanging low or protruding (like a standard serration tip - just rounder) while the MAC has a crescent shaped scallop hanging or protruding.

I think you are looking at my second photo inversely! I realized afterward I shouldn't have taken the photo on a metal background. The knife is the bottom half of the photo, the metal on the top half is my work counter. The edge of the Tojiro is an even sine wave.

One difference is that the portion of the scallops closer to the spine of the knife looks pointier on the MAC than the Tojiro...sort of like the MAC has scallops aligned next to each other and the Tojiro is basically a wavy line.

I think you are looking at my second photo inversely! I realized afterward I shouldn't have taken the photo on a metal background. The knife is the bottom half of the photo, the metal on the top half is my work counter. The edge of the Tojiro is an even sine wave.

One difference is that the portion of the scallops closer to the spine of the knife looks pointier on the MAC than the Tojiro...sort of like the MAC has scallops aligned next to each other and the Tojiro is basically a wavy line.

Gotta love it when someone uses sine waves to describe the shape of the edge on a knife :ggodjob:

Latest posts

Back