Knives & Stones Tanaka R2 ironwood vs wa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malexthekid

Reaction score
Hi James,

Was hoping to get you to shed some light on the differences between the ironwood and wa Tanaka R2s.

I was under the impression that there were some noticeable differences with them.

Thanks

Alex

I should have been more clear, and I will take some photos later to describe the difference later.
In essence, the current Tanaka WA and current western don't differ much, but there is a difference between the current and old western). Basically the older western's pattern is more random and the overall blade is thinner than the current version.

So people may have different experience with different Tanaka R2 from different periods, and the new tanaka western is extremely rare so I'd say not many people have seem them yet.

J.

I am really interested in the photographs, since the R2 blade interests me a lot, but the western handle puts me off.

How much thicker is the new western? And is it just a spine thing, or a grind thing?

Back