Quantcast
Knife Bubble? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Bubble?

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    ...it's like we're all now holding out for full-on customs or something.
    That's me. I've tried out at least half the knives we ever talk about and examples from nearly every custom knifemaker on this board and at this point, I have awesome knives. I only want better than that. So far, only Devin and Murray have really hit the mark. As for bubbles, I think there is a bubble on Kramers and possibly Burkes. Frankly, I don't think knives are all that expensive. I know lots of people that are willing to piss away $5-10 per day on coffee or a beer or a glass of wine or a gallon and a half of gas, you name it. Save a $5 drink every week and you have a custom knife in 1-2 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Save a $5 drink every week and you have a custom knife in 1-2 yrs.
    Hear that dave? how's that for a payment plan?

Evidently the hunter market sank along with the construction industry. People still have to cook to eat and cook for a living.

I'm waiting for a Marko, or AMT. That's it. I'll have all the knives I'll ever need. Selling off some knives, such as a Watanabe Deba that I got from Nathan and a 270 #21 Hayate yanagiba that I don't use, need.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I've seen it mentioned in other threads that there is a sort of knife bubble (usually about Kramer's knives). What do you think?

k.
    I am not an economist, but doesn't the price point of an object have to be artificially high for there to be a bubble? I certainly don't think the price point of custom makers is all that high, considering the amount of work that goes into it, save Kramer.

There are certainly buyers out there...it seems a slow shift to more high end kitchen knives, the general disposable income public just needs to be educated as to what offerings there are out there, else they will spend it on a 300.00-400.00 Zwilling Kramer and call it good.

However, imo the general disposable income public will not wait for a mid tech or custom knife. When they make the decision to buy, they need to appease their sense of immediate gratification. This is difficult for some custom and mid-tech makers to do, which could ultimately end in the loss of a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Evidently the hunter market sank along with the construction industry. People still have to cook to eat and cook for a living.
    Interesting. I hadn't even thought about the increase in attention to the kitchen knife market as due to changes in another market. Very interesting, in fact.
    Len

First off, it's not a bubble unless they are being bought solely to re-sell, and they only get re-sold because someone else is going to sell them. Basically when the demand goes insane, and prices get unreasonable enough to warrant investment, bubbles are created. Fads are not bubbles, because a great, trendy knife will be a great knife long after it's not trendy. A great, absurdly valuable knife that's trendy will end up a great knife, no longer trendy or absurdly valuable.

As far as people getting into making knives and having customers to support them, first of all, there are WAAAAAY enough customers to go around. We knife folks don't deal with 1% of what Wusthof, Chicago Cutlery, etc deal with. And they sell knives for hundreds of dollars at a time, too.

Secondly, many makers won't stick around, or keep up with demand, etc. Sorry to say, but not all the subforums on this site will stay there forever. Some will come, some will go, for whatever reason.

Kitchen knives are on the upswing in the United States, and it isn't imaginary. It is just beginning, and there is enough demand to go around, especially in about 5-10 years.

Do any of you collect comics? Remember that bubble?

I had no real interest in top shelf kitchen knives until after I spent a year or so buying/selling/learning about top shelf pocket knives. Once I had a couple folders that scratched the itch, I naturally shifted over to Japanese cutlery to figure it out as well. I'm turning on my whole kitchen crew one at a time to the sickness .

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    Hear that dave? how's that for a payment plan?

I like it!