Quantcast
Knife Bubble? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Knife Bubble?

So we can pay in coffee?! That's even better than Yen.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    I think there is a bubble due to disposable income.
    Bao, the economy sucks......who still has 'disposable' income to invest is such a narrowly focused commodity liike kitchen knives?

The Kramer anomaly is just that. None of the other makers has released commercially produced knives for the masses. They aren't getting the same media exposure. If it was a true bubble, then people would be grabbing everything evenly remotely perceived as having investment value, then turning it right around expecting (and getting) enormous returns on their investment.

It may appear like there is a bubble, but only because our world is so rarefied & self focused. Outside of the members of a few forums, pretty much nobody knows what we're up to.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Bao, the economy sucks......who still has 'disposable' income to invest is such a narrowly focused commodity liike kitchen knives?

The Kramer anomaly is just that. None of the other makers has released commercially produced knives for the masses. They aren't getting the same media exposure. If it was a true bubble, then people would be grabbing everything evenly remotely perceived as having investment value, then turning it right around expecting (and getting) enormous returns on their investment.

It may appear like there is a bubble, but only because our world is so rarefied & self focused. Outside of the members of a few forums, pretty much nobody knows what we're up to.

I am more talking about the comment regarding the low prices/how long it has taken for knives that once sold in mere minutes of hitting the B/S/T.

There were many knives that say a year ago, I would have not blinked twice about getting. Now, much different story, even though I think they are great bargains. The problem here, I think, is most of us who are on this board, already have a good stash of high end cutlery.

As for customs in this economy, I as a once in the market buyer, but just can't justify buying something now, since I have a few production knives that are pretty darn good. Especially since I am a home cook, I can't say that I need a certain knife. When the economy turns around in and around the same time next year, I may start buying again.

I do think that there is a sweet spot for people like Dave and Marko, who makes what seems to be great knives but the price point is about the same as what you spend on a Shun Kramer or Henkels Kramer. For the people who want quality and uniqueness, custom makers are the way to go. Buying on speculation like the real Kramers, well, I think we all know what happens to speculators.

Looks like I am in a similar spot as Bao. I have tried a lot, and I came to realize that some knives are nice to have but I don't need to have everything - and the economic situation certainly plays a role in this. When this whole thing started, I made a resolution not to buy more knives that fit in my custom knife block (36, I think). In the meantime, I bought a second knife block Right now, I am trying to prioritize, expecting to come in around 1 1/2 blocks...

But as some other guys, I have been around on these forums for a while now, and the younger generation will go through similar experiences, especially when the economy will pick up again - whenever that will be. If the smaller makers get 'discovered', I am sure they will find their place in the growing market. The question is, do they want that?

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Kitchen knives are on the upswing in the United States, and it isn't imaginary. It is just beginning, and there is enough demand to go around, especially in about 5-10 years.
    I fully agree with Eamon on this. I think kitchen knives are going to become a much bigger market. Though I also believe that in the next 3-5 years there will probably be a mismatch in supply and demand favoring the knife buyer. That's just my opinion.

And by the way, I know I shouldn't have used the term 'bubble' as I did because it wasn't really accurate (except for Kramer maybe), but I couldn't resist. Econ was even my discipline, so I should have known better Just being provocative to emphasize how things have changed.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

As a maker, I have supported my hobby by making custom orders. Mainly skinners and camp knives. I was asked to make a chefs knife for the Son of a friend who was going to culinary school. This started me on a new line of thought on knife making, I had to and still am learning what high performance means in a chefs knife. It is a new and refreshing challenge for me. I still have not found my comfort zone with them yet, but Im getting there.

What I am seeing in the custom makers I know that make a living making knives, is that quite a few Master Smiths and well known makers are seeing a trend in the sales of kitchen cutlery, an overlooked market to say the least. I think you will be seeing a lot more makers offering chefs knives to their line of products.

God Bless
    Mike
    Last edited by JohnnyChance; 10-25-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I've seen it mentioned in other threads that there is a sort of knife bubble (usually about Kramer's knives). What do you think?
    >> We knuts are a limited number, but the demand for kitchen knives is also growing. Will it keep growing? k.
    knuts have been around forever but kitchen knife knuts are recent - and yes - guess the bubble will flatten with better quality and variety of kitchen knives available to the general public.
    I worked with a guy who collected knives, all kinds, folders, hunters, etc. (but not kitchen knives) who showed me the polished edge he had on one of his Swiss army knives – 1st super edge I ever saw on a commercialy available knife. He would bring to the office some of the custom made knives he owned that were eye-popping.
    He also showed me the Saveur magazine issue 25 article about Bob Kramer’s focus on kitchen knives and he thought probably a better product for me rather than custom made folders, hunters, etc.
    I found out about kitchen knives forums because I am primarily interested in food and drink – the food tv network really moved this forward and so did the internet. I did a google search and found the Foodie Forums and noticed a disproportinate large number of posts on Fred’s Cutlery – so I checked…….
    Today a few of us geezrs got together for coffee and one of the comments was about how local food has gotten better with greater diversity to choose from compared to the old days and that working in the food industry is a good thing.

+ Reply to Thread