Quantcast
Knife Bubble?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Bubble?

Knife Bubble?

I've seen it mentioned in other threads that there is a sort of knife bubble (usually about Kramer's knives). What do you think?

I don't know what I think actually. Hyped knives are one thing, but there are also a lot of new kitchen knifemakers too. I personally don't think the 'custom'-knife cottage industry is in a bubble, but I do wonder about some things:

>> We knuts are a limited number, but the demand for kitchen knives is also growing. Will it keep growing?

>> How does the growing resale market affect things (a la Nathan's recent sell-off).

>> The 240 gyuto glut. If we all sold half of our gyutos on the same day, prices would likely crash.

Just wondering.

I love seeing the new knifemakers, steel experiments, makers trying out different styles of knives etc, but the competition landscape is also changing.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Maybe we need to see some US makers take on some traditional Japanese patterns. I don't think I can justify another gyuto

Definately a bubble. I have set aside $500 for a couple of Kramers when it all goes down

DarKHOeK

I think there is a bubble due to disposable income. Demand shrinks when disposable income shrinks. Will there still be demand for ultra exclusive products, yes, for the few who can afford it.

People reevaluate, how many gyutos, yanagibas do they need. Do they really need that usuba? Most of the spenders/knife nuts are not kitchen pros.

For me, there has been a lot of reevaluation of what I need to spend my money on.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    The 240 gyuto glut. If we all sold half of our gyutos on the same day, prices would likely crash.
    Yeah, but this isn't like a normal commodity. And if I had trouble selling one of my gyutos, I would rather just keep it than take a stupid low price for it. Unless I realllllly needed the cash I suppose.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

That is true and I would do the same, but I bet we see resale prices inch downward.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

i've been scanning the b/s/t forums and i must say that knives that i thought would go-go-go are actually ... not go-go-going. remember when people would have given a limb for the DT ITK? it's like we're all now holding out for full-on customs or something.

I have noticed more kitchen knives being offered in the Knifemakers B/S/T forum at bladeforums over the past 2-3 months. Phil Patton has sold a couple of santoku's, for crying out loud.

Here's an interesting tidbit to consider, every week I'm talking to at least a couple of new kitchen knifemakers who are looking to get into these knives. Some of these guys are already doing other types of knives and some are just starting into knifemaking for the first time. I've been watching this movement for a long time but it's only this year that we're seeing rapid acceleration of makers getting into this field and it seems that there's no end in sight. But......will there be enough customers for all these knives being made at this price point?

+ Reply to Thread