Wakui stainless cladding has a brown cast

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafox

Reaction score
The stainless cladding on my Wakui stainless clad w#2 210 Gyuto has a brownish cast/tint to it, is this how all of these knives look?

Some years back, when I used to lurk here, there was talk that some Wakui owners noticed the SS cladding starting to get a mild patina. I haven't had any issues with mine. I believe bar keepers friend should work.

Some years back, when I used to lurk here, there was talk that some Wakui owners noticed the SS cladding starting to get a mild patina. I haven't had any issues with mine. I believe bar keepers friend should work.

Thanks

And stainless in general isn't 100% - my Tanaka Ginsanko has some staining, and there's even a bit on the wife's Takamura R2 santoku. Very little on that one, but it's there.

If the brown tint is near the handle and along the neck of the blade, its easily removable with alcohol. I believe it's oil burn-offs smoke from handle installation. If not, pictures please

All, thank you for your replies.

I found the old thread about this subject its around page 9 or so:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/22894-Wakui/page9?highlight=Wakui

I contacted Tim at Bernal, here is our conversation:
The marks you are referring to are from when Wakui sets the blades into the handle. This cause the darkening and smoke spots you noticed on the blade. This is something we find on all of his knives since he sets the handles very hot.

Thank you. Can the spots be sanded out or otherwise removed?

They can be sanded out but keep in mind it will change the scratch pattern on the face of the blade. I would recommend starting with a very fine sandpaper and seeing if it works before going lower.

Is the brown cast that I see on most of the blade caused by the heating during installing the handle or from a patina? Can it be taken off? Will bar keepers friend work? Will it come back?

It is a smoke stain from the handle installation. Bar Keepers friend may help remove it. It will not return if it is removed.

Just an update.
Acetone removed the smoke residue from the neck area from burning-in the handle during handle installation.
And, Semichrome metal polish removed the brown cast from the stainless cladding.
The knife looks shinny and clean now.
Thanks for your help all.

Latest posts

Back